AZ Tortoise keeper's almost-anything-goes thread

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I hope every one finds a great home. It would be even better if they were able to release them.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Melissa; When we have serious monsoon issues here, if I am able (getting a heads up notice from the weather service) I cover the enclosure (especially around burrows) to prevent flooding, I have been caught off guard a few times and while the torts are ok, the burrows do take on water and they come out, I take them inside. Usually my guest bath tub and bathroom and storage tubs. Those monsoon floods don't last for long and I feel better with them inside, while we deal with flooding in hubby's garage and down back low areas of our property. The torts have spent a night or two in the guest bath (emergency evacuation area for them), only if I didn't tarp it down ahead of the storm. Sometimes I've been known to grab the neighbors Tort as well to protect them. Honestly, they'd all probably be just be fine in the high grounds of their enclosures and enjoy rain, but my protective heart says better safe than sorry.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have a male Sonoran I would like to place in a good home. Let me Know if you want him, and write me an essay on how you will care for and provide for him.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This should go with out saying, but you must live in the south and west part of Arizona to keep this tortoise, most have a yard and preferably no dogs.

Keith D.

Arizona
I would love to take in another DT. I have a ton of affection and love for them, just ask my Leo. I have a little over a acre of property and as soon as the killer heat is over I will be building and planting three large tort enclosures and one or two smaller ones for Leoto get outside more then he does. I live in Yuma county in a little town named Dateland. Its nice a quiet and crazy hot ATM lol. We do have dogs but our acre is divided by a fence so the dogs have no access to it. I just recently rescued a DT he is doing much better then he was doing and you can read that story in my threads lol. Depending where you are located I would be willing to either go pick him up or meet you halfway. Let me know :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have a male Sonoran I would like to place in a good home. Let me Know if you want him, and write me an essay on how you will care for and provide for him.
Be carful it's a crime to sell or trade a desert tort in AZ . Just trying to help not complain .

Keith D.

Arizona
People always make that assumption. It is a crime to sell or barter trade a DT in AZ. Its not a crime to give a DT as a gift to someone or to adopt one in AZ.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Grandpa, we would all be federal prison by now with out you to keep us on the strait and narrow.
Keith send a message about the care, habitat, and diet you plan for this fellow. I live near phoenix, But my dad gets down to Yuma once in a while on business trips.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Grandpa, we would all be federal prison by now with out you to keep us on the strait and narrow.
Keith send a message about the care, habitat, and diet you plan for this fellow. I live near phoenix, But my dad gets down to Yuma once in a while on business trips.
If you want to be nasty ok but don't kill the messenger !

turtlemanfla88

Hey it is in the mid 90's here in FLA and hot with no rain it did rain the other day and all the wild gopher tortoises came out of the woods and started grazing. I rather be hot then cold any day.