AZ Tortoise keeper's almost-anything-goes thread

katfinlou

5 Year Member
She's beautiful... Reminds me of Barbra Streisand somehow...

jskahn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wickenburg, AZ
Does anybody who lives close to Wickenburg, have a group of ornates. She is doing good, but I would like her to go to a group that is well cared for.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I thought that somebody would like a free, pretty Ornate female. My friend's son wants to try a pet turtle, so hopefully, he will come to me for advice. He has taken good care of the baby Bearded Dragons, I gave him about 3 years ago.

Don Flowers

Hi, new Sulcata owner in Gilbert. Looking for local resources, good reptile shops & maybe a woodworker to build a large tortoise table, I'm no Tim Taylor and would like a nice built. Any good local info would be helpful.

Thanks
Don.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Joe that is nice the boxie found a home. Does the kid live near you?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Don, baby sulcatas Benefit greatly from a closed chamber set up where the humidity can be kept up. I just made one out of a display case i got off craigslist. Look for Toms care sheet in the sulcata forum. And keep asking questions. How big is your tortoise? Where did you get it?

Don Flowers

Hi, Motero, he is less than a year old so still on the small side. Given to my daughter by her cousin, but I'm helping as much as I can and doing most the research. Have him in a 10 gal aquarium and doing good keeping temps up with lamps but fighting to keep humidity up. Using Eco earn as substrate and spraying with water all the time. Will get into proper enclosure as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Don welcome to the TFO from Phx. AZ . If you ask most of us the best pet shops are Home Depots . Pet shops make money and sell high . But most of what you need you can find at Home Depots . But Mesa has a great reptile show in Nov .

Don Flowers

Thanks for the welcomes! I also agree that Home Depot is the best and DIY is always the best. I do like to do as much research as I can and for me talking in person to someone and seeing things in person helps me get an idea of what I may want to do. That's just me, I tend to learn better with hands on more so than reading. How ever, I do both and just thought a local resource is always good to have. Thanks a ton for the input and ideas. Having fun so far with our new addition!

Thanks again,

Don

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My wife and I checked out the new Shamrock store in Phx ,AZ . Has great selection of produce with great prices . Its location is on I17 and Indian school . And it has people food also :)

Don Flowers

Thanks for that info, I will check it out. I do have a question. I am getting ready for a T- table build and think I will go with a closed lid rather than open. My question is on the lights, will it be ok to have lights on the outside shinning down through the plexiglass or do they need to be inside box. I am concerned with lights being to close to our Sulcata and burning him. Right now I have small halogens and they get very hot, are they the best or is another type better? I will get new / bigger lights for new build. I want to build a nice box but want to make sure it is correct. Also are the petmed foggers the best way to go for humidity controll? I plan on a 5 ft x 2.5 ft table/box with 15 in sides.

Thanks so much,

Don