Axolotl Babies

Jenny & Tort

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh PA
So my two axolotls who I thought were both female, but apparently are not, laid about 200 eggs around their tank. So I'm not sure how yet but a lot of people say they sell their babies on the internet. I was wondering if anyone on this site would be interested in any babies. Or if anyone has suggestions on how to sell the babies. There is a lot! And I want to find all or most of them loving homes. Its been really cool watching the stages of their development through their clear eggs.

I also wanted to share some pictures of my little growing baby axolotls because it is cute and fascinating!

Day 3
upload_2015-10-20_16-28-33.png

Day 5
upload_2015-10-20_16-28-53.png

Week 2
upload_2015-10-20_16-38-4.png

upload_2015-10-20_16-38-21.png

upload_2015-10-20_16-38-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-20_16-29-41.png
    upload_2015-10-20_16-29-41.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 29

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, very cool, congrats and thanks for sharing. You could go to your local fish store, not a chain one and see if they would like to buy them. I work for a fish store and he would rather buy from a local small breeder, then from the big Wholesaler.
You could also look on faunaclassifieds.com and I'm almost sure they have a section for his or other items, but not positive. Craig's list is also a place to try or see if you have a local fish club. Sometimes, they will have a couple times a year that they get together and sell their fish. Good luck.

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Wow, very cool, congrats and thanks for sharing. You could go to your local fish store, not a chain one and see if they would like to buy them. I work for a fish store and he would rather buy from a local small breeder, then from the big Wholesaler.
You could also look on faunaclassifieds.com and I'm almost sure they have a section for his or other items, but not positive. Craig's list is also a place to try or see if you have a local fish club. Sometimes, they will have a couple times a year that they get together and sell their fish. Good luck.

Those all sound like great ideas! Thanks! I will have to post some more pictures after they hatch and as their legs begin to develop!

Prairie Mom

These photos are AMAZING! I am eagerly going to follow their progress!

You've posted pictures of your adult ones before haven't you? Please post photos of the adults here too:)

I don't think there is any way my husband would want one more tank to care for, but I'm more than a little tempted to take a baby. I think they look a lot like "Toothless" in "How to Train Your Dragon" and that just adds to their coolness for me:D

Just to satisfy my curiosity... I'd also be interested in a few tips on how to best house them. How large do they get? Also, my kids can't handle "live feedings." Can I avoid this and still give a nutritious diet?
Thanks!

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
These photos are AMAZING! I am eagerly going to follow their progress!

You've posted pictures of your adult ones before haven't you? Please post photos of the adults here too:)

I don't think there is any way my husband would want one more tank to care for, but I'm more than a little tempted to take a baby. I think they look a lot like "Toothless" in "How to Train Your Dragon" and that just adds to their coolness for me:D

Just to satisfy my curiosity... I'd also be interested in a few tips on how to best house them. How large do they get? Also, my kids can't handle "live feedings." Can I avoid this and still give a nutritious diet?
Thanks!

I attached some pictures of the adults. I love them and I call them my little water dragons! I defiantly see toothless! They are super cool to watch!

As for your questions, a 10 gallon tank is sufficient for one axolotl and a 20 gallon will work for two, but the more space they have the happier they'll be. I also prefer to have sand on the bottom of my tank rather than have a bare bottom just because it looks nicer for longer (less clean up). Gravel is a big no no for these guys because they can accidentally swallow it and die :(.
They get to be about 10 to 12 inches in length when they are fully grown.
When you ask about your kids handling live feedings I am guessing do you mean that it is gruesome? It is defiantly kid friendly if your kids don't mind that the worm is dying. The axolotls just open their mouths real wide and swallow the worm whole in one or two "bites." They don't have teeth so there is no blood, that is unless you cut the worm.
I am not sure how to keep an axolotl healthy without the live feedings. Some websites do sell axolotl pellets, and other people say to use salmon pellets. I tried buying some axolotl pellets when I first got my axolotls but they had no interest in them and I couldn't figure out how to make them interested in them. I think that they associate their food with movement so they aren't very interested in a pellet sitting on the bottom of their tank. Some axolotl owners do feed their axolotls pellets (but I'm not sure how).

I will make sure to post more pictures when they hatch and as they grow and develop!

Attachments

• axel.jpg
    axel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 46
  • axx.jpg
    axx.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 48
  • axolotl.jpg
    axolotl.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 45

Prairie Mom

I attached some pictures of the adults. I love them and I call them my little water dragons! I defiantly see toothless! They are super cool to watch!

As for your questions, a 10 gallon tank is sufficient for one axolotl and a 20 gallon will work for two, but the more space they have the happier they'll be. I also prefer to have sand on the bottom of my tank rather than have a bare bottom just because it looks nicer for longer (less clean up). Gravel is a big no no for these guys because they can accidentally swallow it and die :(.
They get to be about 10 to 12 inches in length when they are fully grown.
When you ask about your kids handling live feedings I am guessing do you mean that it is gruesome? It is defiantly kid friendly if your kids don't mind that the worm is dying. The axolotls just open their mouths real wide and swallow the worm whole in one or two "bites." They don't have teeth so there is no blood, that is unless you cut the worm.
I am not sure how to keep an axolotl healthy without the live feedings. Some websites do sell axolotl pellets, and other people say to use salmon pellets. I tried buying some axolotl pellets when I first got my axolotls but they had no interest in them and I couldn't figure out how to make them interested in them. I think that they associate their food with movement so they aren't very interested in a pellet sitting on the bottom of their tank. Some axolotl owners do feed their axolotls pellets (but I'm not sure how).

I will make sure to post more pictures when they hatch and as they grow and develop!
Oh my goodness! They're so freaky and BEAUTIFUL! I love them! Thank you so much for the info:)

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Babies are all grown up now!

Attachments

• aaaaaajoj.jpg
    aaaaaajoj.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 22
  • aaaajio.jpg
    aaaajio.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 23
  • aaalotl.jpg