Awesome find!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I been eyeing this for one of my enclosures as a natural hide for a couple weeks now. Today I finally got to talk to the property owner and got permission to have it. It's completely hollow inside. I haven't decided how im going to use it yet. Thinking I might cut it in half.IMG_20200703_181148984.jpgIMG_20200703_181128323.jpgIMG_20200703_181111436.jpg

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
You made a good choice. It looks awesome in both places. How nice to be able to reuse something from nature in such a great way, that most would have overlooked.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You made a good choice. It looks awesome in both places. How nice to be able to reuse something from nature in such a great way, that most would have overlooked.
Thanks! I'm definitely a repurpose kind of guy when it comes to creating things. I don't throw anything away I think I might be able to use for something later lol.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You're not afraid to put different stuff in your water? How do you know there's no toxins involved?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, I'm an idiot. I should have figured out why in the 15 years I've lived here, I haven't expanded my tort pens to include this patch of earth. Guess I forgot. The neighbors have a huge old cherry tree that mostly hangs over that part of my yard. So here's a tree branch,
100_4481.JPG

and here's Knobby, that's a cherry pit
100_4480.JPG
my 'not an awesome find'

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You're not afraid to put different stuff in your water? How do you know there's no toxins involved?
I'm not really too worried. Sliders live here naturally and I see them basking on all kinds of fallen logs like this one when I go fishing. So my thinking is that they encounter the same thing in the wild.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm not really too worried. Sliders live here naturally and I see them basking on all kinds of fallen logs like this one when I go fishing. So my thinking is that they encounter the same thing in the wild.
But...generally sliders are in moving or large lakes or rivers, so my thinking is the either lake or river, the water is more. I'm freaked out for different reason's that I'm going to poison my little water turtle. He's in a 75 gallon aquarium with about 50 gallons of water. I run 2 filters and it seems like I am always cleaning that tank and the filter medium. But putting him in one of my turtle rooms just wasn't one of the best idea I've ever had. I'm siphoning water into a 5 gallon bucket, then pretending I don't have trouble hauling that to the bathroom without spilling, sloshing, or otherwise screwing up my light colored carpet. He spends the day in the box turtle pen and pond, and in the house at night. He's a messy eater.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ended up cutting one in half again and making two hides out of it. One inside and one outside. IMG_20200704_132741456.jpgIMG_20200704_121303982.jpgIMG_20200704_130119753.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_121303982.jpg
    IMG_20200704_121303982.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Well the outside hide didn't work out too well. My Tortoise Murphy somehow managed to get under it and lift it. He moved it over to the side of the pen and I just caught him on top of it trying to make a break for it over the wall.IMG_20200707_131947373.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They are natural escape artists you always have to think of blocking all escape routes. My outdoor enclosure has a wire base then layer of large pebbles and then the substrate finished off with wire top. Shame as the log was a fun find.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Bummer. Honestly I’d just go ahead and make the walls taller and keep the hide.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I been eyeing this for one of my enclosures as a natural hide for a couple weeks now. Today I finally got to talk to the property owner and got permission to have it. It's completely hollow inside. I haven't decided how im going to use it yet. Thinking I might cut it in half.View attachment 299084View attachment 299085View attachment 299086
we had some bark from some half logs like that except my only problem is she has enough traction she likes to flip herself over trying to climb over so now I'm just going to use a ceramic looking tree stump with straight up and down sides and smooth so she can't keep traction but can still hide inside I'm having a Sculptor make me the tree stump maybe even a ceramic tunnel which would be slippery enough as well