Avoiding Scams /Connie Clack

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I am posting this because when I first looked into getting an Aldabra, I sent out inquiries to several ads. I continue to get "offers" to sell to me. and many of these are pure scams. This guy (or gal for that matter) started a correspondence with me and I discovered with a bit of searching he advertises tortoises all over the web on ad sites.

Take this for what it is, my opinion. If it saves even one person from losing their hard earned $ it is worth the effort to post this. Remember to deal only with proven / vetted sources if you have to get a tortoise through the mail. The scammers are even trying to take us tort lovers. Its rampant.

Scam alert.

Phone: 317-678-7859

This number is registered in
Nobelsville IN, but he could be anywhere. I suspect he is in TX.

Goes by Connie Clack
Uses [email protected]

Advertises tortoises for sale on many sites.

Various ads , some looking for a " good home", as he ca't take care of the tortoise any longer, some claiming he is breeder , his torts are " AKC" registered.

American Kennel Club?

Offers Russians, Redfoots, Aldabras

All at too-cheap prices, or rehoming for shipping fees, etc.. His English is pretty good, at least in print.

Offered me two , a mated pair of 65lb Aldabras if I only pay shipping

Because his wife died and every time he looked at them it reminded him of her. He just wanted them to go to a good home….

Wanted me to send a money gram (to Marry Land, a city in TX – kinda slick really)

Gave his name as

MANDIBA JOHN

I pressed him, and he finnally gave an address where the Aldabras were of
12 Mount Vernon Est 8, Baltimore MD, 21201

I looked it up

This address is a 800 sq' 1 bath / 1 bedroom condo (for sale for $180K) in the heart of Baltimore - empty according to realtor I called.

Knowing this is a scam, as no one gives away Aldabras worth $20-30K. I called his bluff -

I offered to have my brother-in-law who’s a cop in Baltimore come pick them up and give him $ cash so he wouldn't have to ship them , and actually get more $ for them.

He broke contact, despite repeated attempts by me to reach him ( I do despise these scammers and play with them a bit – shame on me !). Then finally after two days wrote back and said he could only do shipping, no pick-up. Beware.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Good to know - he's obviously getting $ now & then so keeps at it.
Name changes , phone, email ... It just goes on

Unfortunately the police have more important cases to deal with & can't stop ' em

Even mail fraud can be hard to prove
Be careful out there :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the heads up. I like that you play with them a bit. I do too, hey, why not give them a big let down when they think they got a bite. After all it's not like they don't deserve it and even worse.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Good to know - he's obviously getting $ now & then so keeps at it.
Name changes , phone, email ... It just goes on

Unfortunately the police have more important cases to deal with & can't stop ' em

Even mail fraud can be hard to prove
Be careful out there :)
Thanks for all that detective work. Wow! What people will do for the almighty $$$!

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
These scammers are all over on Craigslist. @Alaskamike, it's so good to know that you played this guy to the end. Good for you.

Brett gray

I have talked to the same guy I believe goes by Mike Eric and sounds Oriental. His number 678-435-9947. Shows his phone is registered in Atlanta GA told me he was a farmer in Virginia. He keeps pressuring for us to buy an Indian star tortoise for 287.00. his email is [email protected]. then he also sent a picture of a white guy stating that was him and his daughter holding a tortoise. Plus he wants us to send a money gram. We won't be buying this tortoise.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have talked to the same guy I believe goes by Mike Eric and sounds Oriental. His number 678-435-9947. Shows his phone is registered in Atlanta GA told me he was a farmer in Virginia. He keeps pressuring for us to buy an Indian star tortoise for 287.00. his email is [email protected]. then he also sent a picture of a white guy stating that was him and his daughter holding a tortoise. Plus he wants us to send a money gram. We won't be buying this tortoise.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pet/5992890017.html

This was on my local Craigslist, That number is the same