Automated enclosure 2.0 and 3.0

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn, VA
We are starting work on Chuba Ghandi’s new indoor habitat. Building on the small scale lesson learned, from Modified Zoomed Habitat, we are beginning construction of custom enclosures 2.0 and 3.0. The purpose of enclosure 2.0 is as a final testing platform for integration of a permanent larger scale water feature, practice stone work as well as forced air heat and humidity that will be going into version 3.0. The end goal is a suitable main indoor floor to ceiling 12’ x 12’ (144 sq. ft. is the largest my wife will let me build in the house) zoo quality habitat modeled after the range where these guys can be found in the wild (specifically Thompson’s Falls in Kenya) that can be a focal point of our home and serve as a permanent enclosure for our tort year round for the next year and a half and then become his night/winter enclosure that compliments a large outdoor enclosure. We welcome constructive input and will do our best to provide plans, material lists, pictures and possibly even videos.

Our small scale tests have been, what I would consider, very successful to this point. Chuba Ghandi has gained on average 15 grams per week and has a pretty smooth shell. At four months of age he is 178 grams, active, solid and healthy. His diet consists of Zoomed Grassland Food, Zoomed Repti-calcium (once per week), and once per day a helping of un-chopped spring mix which is hidden around his enclosure. The temperature is divided into five zones ranging from 85 – 125 degrees and 80 – 95% humidity and it “rains” every two hours for 15-20 seconds.

TIMELINE:
Enclosure 2.0 – Materials acquisition: 11/5 – 11/15, Build: 11/16 - 11/23
Enclosuree 3.0 – Materials acquisition: 10/15 – 1/15/14, Build: 1/18 – 4/18

The timeline is pretty aggressive and I hope to stick pretty close to it. Thanks for checking this out and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and constructive input!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope you'll take pictures and keep us updated on your progress.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't wait for pics. So far the only input I can give is a much more varied diet. Add cactus, plants, leaves, flowers, weeds. Some things you may have to order depending on where you live. Others you may be able to find at your grocer. Check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for more ideas to add in. Also don't forget to ask your grocer even if they don't carry something, does mean they can get it.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
wellington said:
I can't wait for pics. So far the only input I can give is a much more varied diet. Add cactus, plants, leaves, flowers, weeds. Some things you may have to order depending on where you live. Others you may be able to find at your grocer. Check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for more ideas to add in. Also don't forget to ask your grocer even if they don't carry something, does mean they can get it.

Actually, I didn't include his habitat diet, sorry about that I take it for granted sometimes.

Chuba gets everything but the cactus in his habitat fresh. The rain system along with the UV grow lighting (tortoise and plant spectrums) and living dirt provides him with fresh grasses, plants, leaves, flowers, and clover. I haven't tried the cactus yet though. I usually replant every 1.5 months (grasses and clover) and they spring up in about three days time. I usually only have to do small sections though and not the whole enclosure. In the four months since he was born we have only had to replace plants once and again that is on rotation.

You guys all did a great job of providing resources like tortoise table when we first started! Thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am absolutely riveted by the project details....eagerly waiting for progress report/pics...:D

Oh and forgot....beautiful tort by the way ;)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Very curious about this project as I am beginning to build a self sustained vivarium for my Leo. How big will the 2.0 be? Also would you be able to post pics of your current set up?

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
mikeh said:
Very curious about this project as I am beginning to build a self sustained vivarium for my Leo. How big will the 2.0 be? Also would you be able to post pics of your current set up?

You can click on the link in the first post (the green "Modified Zoomed" text) that has the complete build with tons of pictures and results. I am writing up the Enclosure 2.0 parts list and build sheet now which will include dimensions. Should have it up tonight or tomorrow.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Partial materials list for enclosure 2.0:

MistKing Starter System with 6 Nozzels, and Plus Pack
2x Marine Grade ¾ Red Oak plywood
4x Lexan .1875” thick 24x48
Hound Heater Deluxe
2x Stainless steel sample pan
MistKing EZ-400 Controller
2x Exo Terra Electronic Lamp Controller 2x30 watt
2x 36” Zoo Med Reptisun UVB 10.0 HO Light 30 watt
Ultrasonic Humidifier
3x Leviton Ceramic fixture
Organic Dirt
Bent Grass Seed
Clover Crush
Assorted Plants
Granite and assorted stone
Sealants, Screws, Glue, Misc. items

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
OK, finally getting started on Automated Enclosure 2.0, only 3 months behind schedule!

Things got a bit busy around here and I had to put off starting enclosure 2.0, but the parts are on order and on their way.

I hope to start next week on the actual build. Version 3.0 will likely get pushed out to December as things stand right now.

Size: 70" wide by 48" deep with overall height of 70"

Changes:
Controller upgraded to ECO Zone ECO500 with MistKing Control module
16" wide waterfall with zero entry pond
The hound heater will only heat the hide area (with separate warm mist)
The light and heat fixtures will be HALO Airtite recessed fixtures

The enclosure will combine Stone, Oak and Lexan and will be built in a Mission Style

Everything else will pretty much stick to the list.