attention California tortoise owners

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I don't know if you been paying attention to the news but this winter supposed to be warmer than usual so as the months go by if you're hibernating your tortoise you're going to have to give a pretty good eye on it

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It won't be warmer here, I can assure you. :( It snows almost every year in Jordan, but Oli has not hibernated for the past four years; don't know why. :confused:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You mean all that hype about global warming was true?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You mean all that hype about global warming was true?

HA! NO! It was a total fraud and they got caught and were forced to admit it. Then they came back two years later and re-named it "climate change" and the masses didn't seem to even notice the smokescreen...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know if you been paying attention to the news but this winter supposed to be warmer than usual so as the months go by if you're hibernating your tortoise you're going to have to give a pretty good eye on it

Call me a skeptic, but I'll believe it when I see it… Nights are already dropping into the 40s up here and its still October!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well here in the UK the climate has definitely changed and the winters are warmer. Where I grew up in Yorkshire used to get lots of snow every winter and now gets next to none 40 years later.

Here in Kent, we're switching to fridge hibernation this winter because we can't guarantee temperatures any more. We had a week before Christmas last year at 17C/63F which would have been unheard of a decade ago.

Whether this is permanent or a natural fluctuation, I have no idea. I have seen letters written by people in this area in the 1850s where they say the winters have got very warm and there were no frosts... so it's happened before.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
HA! NO! It was a total fraud and they got caught and were forced to admit it. Then they came back two years later and re-named it "climate change" and the masses didn't seem to even notice the smokescreen...

LOL.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well here in the UK the climate has definitely changed and the winters are warmer. Where I grew up in Yorkshire used to get lots of snow every winter and now gets next to none 40 years later.

Here in Kent, we're switching to fridge hibernation this winter because we can't guarantee temperatures any more. We had a week before Christmas last year at 17C/63F which would have been unheard of a decade ago.

Whether this is permanent or a natural fluctuation, I have no idea. I have seen letters written by people in this area in the 1850s where they say the winters have got very warm and there were no frosts... so it's happened before.
Yep, 12°c last Christmas day up here in the north.
I guess the woolly mammoth figured out the planet will get warmer with age before anyone else did. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well they've already said we're going to get a very very weak El nino this year which is going to keep temperatures up the Sun out and the clouds and Rain away not like we get a whole lot of rain to begin with but still. I'm not using any global warming baloney just normal meteorological information

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If it will be warmer, that's great news for sulcata owners. Last year it seemed like Charlie went almost 2 months without eating.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas

Where was the coast back then? Or was it a lot longer ago that the coast was further inland?

I know they have had trouble finding some places in the isles because they were looking for an island according to old records and now it is a hill far away from the coast lol.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Where was the coast back then? Or was it a lot longer ago that the coast was further inland?

I know they have had trouble finding some places in the isles because they were looking for an island according to old records and now it is a hill far away from the coast lol.
The coastline hasn't changed much. The Yorkshire coast is being eroded away, but not that much. The East coast is disappearing.

There are places not far from me in Kent that used to be coastal a couple of hundred years ago that are now inland. With climate change, I guess that may be reversed. Sea levels are definitely rising.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
The coastline hasn't changed much. The Yorkshire coast is being eroded away, but not that much. The East coast is disappearing.

There are places not far from me in Kent that used to be coastal a couple of hundred years ago that are now inland. With climate change, I guess that may be reversed. Sea levels are definitely rising.

Oh ok, I had remembered reading about an ancient Anglo Saxon trading port they had a hard time locating because it was not were they were expecting the coast to have been back then.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Global warming is true. Our winters haven't been like when I was a kid or young adult. Lot less snow, less time of having snow and warmer longer falls and most time Warner springs. When they say we are having a bad winter, it's usually for about a week of real cold temps and more then average snow. My younger days, it was snow most of the winter.
Next week, mid to upper 70's and even an 80 day. Not normal compared to a few years ago.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Global warming is true. Our winters haven't been like when I was a kid or young adult. Lot less snow, less time of having snow and warmer longer falls and most time Warner springs. When they say we are having a bad winter, it's usually for about a week of real cold temps and more then average snow. My younger days, it was snow most of the winter.
Next week, mid to upper 70's and even an 80 day. Not normal compared to a few years ago.

Sounds like all the reasons I moved down south !

Speaking of "younger days" you forgot "walking 5 miles to school" ! :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Suppose to be a la nina which is opposite of el nino. Suppose to be above average temps. And lower amount of rain fall then average. La Nina usually occurs after am so Nino year. As Tom said nights are cooling off here
But don't hold your breath. About to get to the 90s days and 60s at night again .

Kyle