At my wits' end with my Russian...

etherealequus

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone. I used to have an account on here a few years ago, but I've since deleted it. Well, here I am again. First, let me introduce myself and my tort. I'm Khloe, I'm a college student living in Pittsburgh, PA. I've had my Russian Tortoise, Oscar, for nearly seven years. Since getting him, I've learned a lot regarding proper husbandry; I buckled down and built a custom, two-level enclosure for my little dude so he could have more space. He had been absolutely thriving for the past few years; he was insanely active (borderline annoying, actually;)) and ate like a pig. As of the past month or so, he's been basically unrecognizable in terms of his behavior. He is lethargic all of the time: he refuses to bask, doesn't move out of the same spot on the cool side unless I physically force him out, will go right back to his log as soon as I move him, doesn't eat nearly as much, sometimes doesn't eat at all, never soaks unless I put him in the pool, etc. etc.
I took him to my exotic vet twice. He did a physical exam and dewormed him, said everything looked great and that Oscar's weight was right where it needed to be. I noticed Oscar had diarrhea after the dewormer, so I supplemented his gut flora with NutriBAC df until his bowel movements returned to normal. When I told the vet he still wasn't better, they took an x-ray, which looks good and shows no abnormalities. The vet basically told me to just force Oscar to move around and to keep taking him outside daily, which I have been doing. Unless it is raining, he goes out for an hour to two hours each day; when he's outside, he runs around like crazy, but he only goes along the perimeter of our fence, so I can't help but think he might just be looking for a hiding/burrowing spot to get away from the sun? I'm really at a loss here; this has become the biggest source of stress in my life at the moment (and I'm in college! during a pandemic!)
I knew everyone on here would understand this stress, so that's why I wanted to make this post. I'm really hoping someone can help me out or offer any bit of advice. I'll list some basic care info below. I could also attach pictures of Oscar, the x-ray, his enclosure, etc. if anyone thinks that could help. Please, if you have experienced anything similar or have any idea what could be going on with him, I'm willing to try anything at this point.
Diet: mainly a mix of organic greens (homegrown dandelion, kale, collard, endive, radicchio); I supplement occasionally with calcium powder (Repti Calcium without D3)
Lighting: 100W ZooMed Spot Lamp; 10.0 UVB/UVA ReptiSun Strip Light
Temperatures: hot side is 90 to 100F (directly under light); cool side is 70 to 75F
His enclosure has a shallow pool that he used to soak himself in daily. I use a mix of sand and coconut coir (EcoEarth, boiled and then baked before being used) for the substrate. He has two hide logs on the cool side, which he never seems to leave now.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some info; forgive me, I'm really just so upset about this whole situation. I really took for granted how nice it was to have a healthy, active tortoise. Now, I get upset even thinking about him because I'm just so afraid there's some underlying bigger issue.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yes pictures please of Oscar and the enclosure . Also how old is your UVB bulb and have you tested its output?

etherealequus

Pittsburgh, PA
Yes pictures please of Oscar and the enclosure . Also how old is your UVB bulb and have you tested its output?
IMG_1325.jpgIMG_1327.jpgIMG_1328.jpgIMG_1330.jpgIMG_1331.jpg
Here's some pictures I just took today. I wasn't sure what would be the best way to show Oscar so I went for awkwardly holding him up like that, lol.
My UVB bulb is about a month old. I replaced it when I noticed the problems starting, thinking that might have been an issue. My vet actually recommends using a spot lamp UVB instead of a strip light; I'm wondering what people's opinions are on that...
I don't know how to test the output, could you tell me more about that?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I wouldn't use a sand substrate, but he is not impacted according to your x-ray. Some times if it is too hot or too cold Russians will estivate, like hibernating but in the summer. Maybe he is doing that? He looks a little dry, I would soak him even if it is against his will in a small tub in warm water for 1/2 hour a day and see if that helps any. Just some thoughts.

etherealequus

Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't use a sand substrate, but he is not impacted according to your x-ray. Some times if it is too hot or too cold Russians will estivate, like hibernating but in the summer. Maybe he is doing that? He looks a little dry, I would soak him even if it is against his will in a small tub in warm water for 1/2 hour a day and see if that helps any. Just some thoughts.
Noted about the sand. And correct, that's what we checked for with the x-ray. In your opinion, would just the coconut fiber be okay by itself? I can replace what I currently have in there, I recently bought a few more blocks of it because it's due for a change.
Researching estivation, I think you really might be onto something!! Since we can't find anything physically wrong with him, I wonder if that's what's been going on with him. If I recall correctly, I noticed this starting after we had a major dry spell in our area and he was still going outside daily. Maybe the weather affected him and caused this? I can definitely say he's never been outside as much as he was this summer; the weather is usually much more wet...
Do you think the temperatures in his enclosure could be an issue? For reference, right now the hot side looks to be right about 90F and the cool side at 73F.
I will definitely soak him more. I just moved to an apartment and unfortunately left his tub that he can't just climb out of back at my house. I'll be grabbing it this weekend. For now I'll put him in his pool and see how long he'll stay in there.
Thank you so much for all of your help, I appreciate it more than you know.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Your temps seem about right, I think you can use the coconut fiber as a substrate by itself. I use cypress mulch, so I don't know too much about the coconut fiber though I know a lot of people here use it. as long as you take the sand out. good luck and hopes he eats soon or sleeps for just a little while.

etherealequus

Pittsburgh, PA
That enclosure is beautiful! I hope you figure out what’s up with your little guy soon. I wish u luck!!:)
Thank you so much!
I really hope so too. I’m surprised that this period of inactivity has lasted so long with him, to be honest. But a lot of the research I’ve done online says the cooler weather should cause him to become active again. Fingers crossed that happens soon. I’m getting a bit worried about how long he’s gone without eating more than a few bites of food...

etherealequus

Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone!!
I have a great update for anyone who had helped me out on this thread. Yesterday, I did something as a last resort to try and get Oscar out of what I now believe was a prolonged period of estivation. I took him outside for just a few minutes in the cool weather to try and “break the cycle” in a way... lo and behold, later that day, he became alert, active, and very demanding of food!! As we speak, he is devouring his mix of greens like a madman!! I am so beyond thrilled. I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence that I took him outside yesterday or if that really did snap him out of it, but either way, I could not be happier :)
Oscar and I would like to thank everyone for all of the advice & well wishes!! I’m so happy to have my crazy little man back!