Aspen Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I have chosen to change my substrate from soil/sand to aspen bedding as it seems as though it is loved by all. I am just wondering if anyone knows where one could get it in Canada for a reasonable price. In the posts that I have read on this site most seem to be happy with how great and cheap it is. To purchase a 4qt. bag in this area it costs around $8. To fill my tort table I would probably need around 10 bags if not more. That's no so cheap...lol. Any leads would be great.

Cheers :D

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
do you have any cattle feed stores around you? they carry big bags for around 5 dollars

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a question about aspen, would a baby greek prefer shredded or chipped aspen? I have alfalfa pellets and, like Granolagal, have been swayed by the forum goers to get ride of it and replace it with aspen.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shreded is the better choice for a baby Greek. Mine love theirs they can burrow and yet it is firm under their feet. I tried the chipped but feel the shredded for the babies is the better choice.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cool! Yeah, my little one just found the desert snow, which I have moved into his enclosed hide, he seems to like the feel for burrowing and it keeps that area cool and dry. I will probably get the aspen for the main area. Thanks!

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The only substrate I found at the feed store is a huge (78L) bag of 'Premium Softwood Shavings'...would that be the right stuff? Would be cool as it is only $6.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Softwood would be pine, cedar or other conifer. Not good for animals. Ask at the feed store for the aspen.

Status
Not open for further replies.