Asking the symmetry of aldabra shell

Fredkas

5 Year Member
It's been a while i am not starting any new thread. I am just updating the growth of my sulcata and replying / watching others threads to keep myself update.
Recently i can't hold my passion towards aldabra anymore, so i am going to adopt one.
I found one that make me so tempted, but i am in doubt, the shell look asymmetry.
Is this going to take any affect in the future of the tortoise? Will it remains the same like this? Is this asymmetry bone structure?
IMG-20170423-WA0011-1.jpg IMG-20170423-WA0012-1.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, Greg would be the best to answer. My guess is that it's just a higher domed one. I don't see anything that looks bad except some slight pyramiding which says was started dryer then Gregs are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He just looks like he was squished a little while in the egg. It straightens out over time.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Yes @ALDABRAMAN , if you see the aldabra from my pics, look at the one showing the butt. You can see, it is not entire round. I mean the symmetry between the left curve and the right curve. Just like @Yvonne G said, it is like he was quished a little bit. Do you also think that it will symmetry again or it will remain the same (asymmetry) ? Do you have such experience?
Ps. I am aware of the pyramiding, i am not concerning that one, i'll make it stop.

And wow!!! Yours is so smoottthhhh..

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yes @ALDABRAMAN , if you see the aldabra from my pics, look at the one showing the butt. You can see, it is not entire round. I mean the symmetry between the left curve and the right curve.

~ I would select another one with a better start, you can treat the fungas and regain control of the initial pyramiding, however the divots are permanent. His rear legs look displayed, that would be of greater concern. My guess is that little guy was raised fast in the wrong environment on a commercial farm.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
~ I would select another one with a better start, you can treat the fungas and regain control of the initial pyramiding, however the divots are permanent. His rear legs look displayed, that would be of greater concern. My guess is that little guy was raised fast in the wrong environment on a commercial farm.
A lot of them started this way. I think you are right, i should choose another one. I have several options and none is consider a "healthy" aldabra like yours. Sad, huh?
So far this one come out the best.. Dang!
Can you show me how is the right "rear leg" should look like? @ALDABRAMAN

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@ALDABRAMAN could the legs be displayed like that just because of the way it's being held?
I see the big difference in the legs comparing to yours though. I thought that only happened in older ones. Never thought it could happen in such a young one. Always learning something new here.
Fredkas take a look at Gregs pictures above. See now his torts legs are straight. The one in your pic is widely angled out.

Last edited:

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Yes, i also think that maybe because he/she was held and a baby will get that pose of the leg. So i am totally wrong.
Noted.