Asking aldabra weird brown color shell

Fredkas

5 Year Member
See.. @ALDABRAMAN 's aldabra always looks nice. Why some of aldabra hatchling has brown mark in their shell?
This is aldabraman's baby alda
images

This is the other aldabras, not only one like this, will the new growth be like this in the future?
IMG-20170423-WA0013-1.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Is the stuff between the scutes of the bigger animal... maybe a dirt??? Could you try to clean it during soaking with very soft brush and see if it comes off? Or... is it the way the new growth comes in???? I wouldn't expect perfectly smooth growth lines, but they should look a lot smoother and have more shine. What's the humidity of the enclosure? Where does this tort spend most of his time? Under a lamp? Maybe? How high is the lamp from his carapace?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From my understanding and seeing many pics of newly hatched, they are hatched out brown and turn black.
Aldabraman also keeps his well hydrated and the pic of the other one you posted looked dryer to me.
The brownish possibly just hasn't turned all the way black.
I have also seem some that were more brownish looking then black but not sure if it was just dirt.
@ALDABRAMAN

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the reply, i appreciate it so much.. I just know that they are hatched out brown.
So i got another weird color marking. Can anyone please comment what is going on with this hatchling? It looks like it has leopard tortoise pattern, even at the new growth. Black and brown.
If the swirl mark at the scute, i know that is because the tortoise is well hydrated (that is what i know the meaning of the swirl mark), but the new growth seems has that pattern too which i never see before in tortoises except leopard tortoise or marble redfoot.
Is this new for you @ALDABRAMAN ?

IMG-20170423-WA0068-1.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
New species. Leopradabra. Geez I hope not. Pretty interesting.
I have never heard of a swirl mark meaning well hydrated. Where did you hear/read that?
First I ever heard of it. I'm leaning towards it not being correct.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
New species. Leopradabra. Geez I hope not. Pretty interesting.
I have never heard of a swirl mark meaning well hydrated. Where did you hear/read that?
First I ever heard of it. I'm leaning towards it not being correct.
Oh i dont know the name. I mean white squiggly lines. This is the thread telling it. And manya more.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sure-white-squiggly-lines.123125/
I think that will only happen on/in scute. Not all the way to new growth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh i dont know the name. I mean white squiggly lines. This is the thread telling it. And manya more.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sure-white-squiggly-lines.123125/
I think that will only happen on/in scute. Not all the way to new growth.
Nothing there saying anything about the quiggley lines meaning good hydration. They do not mean that. Lots of torts have had them. We don't know why or what causes them. So far we know they seem to be normal and nothing to worry about.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Nothing there saying anything about the quiggley lines meaning good hydration. They do not mean that. Lots of torts have had them. We don't know why or what causes them. So far we know they seem to be normal and nothing to worry about.
I believe @Yvonne G said it. You can scroll down. However my sulcata also have that but yes only on scute. Not in growth line.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I read through it. I read Yvonnes post too.
Post 6 by Jeff (N2TORTS) mentions the word hybred. That has nothing to do with hydration.
I just don't want you getting the wrong info. It doesn't mean a good or bad hydration. They just appear in some torts. There are other actual signs of poor hydration. Very dry skin/shell, sunken eyes, pyramiding but not always meaning poor hydration. The squiggley lines not a sign of good hydration.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm going to butt in here. I have not read the thread so you guys are talking about about the squiggles on the shell meaning good hydration. But I do remember a thread about Russian a hatchling or somebody asked about little squiggles like that and they were told that it means the baby is well hydrated. I will try to find it, it was a few months ago and I only paid attention because I have a hatchling Russian also.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would love to see the thread. The links already posted, I don't see anything that says it's a sign of good hydration.
Don't know if I'm missing something or it you guys are reading more into what has been said.
@Yvonne G @Tom csn either one of you confirm if you have said that the squiggley lines are a sign of good hydration. When I click on the links above posted, your threads seem to be the first that pops up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All post I have read that has been linked does not say it is a sign of good hydration.
Most say we don't know why they appear. Some say they seem to appear more so when wet or after a soak. They all say they are not a bad sign and are normal.
If someone could post a link to the thread/post that says it would be great. I just don't see where any that were linked says it. I don't want people thinking its a sign of good hydration if it indeed is not. A wet tort may show them, but a wet tort isn't an indication that it's a well hydrated tort.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I guarantee I did not read into anything. I will try to find the thread. I am not saying it's true or not, I am saying what I have read here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guarantee I did not read into anything. I will try to find the thread. I am not saying it's true or not, I am saying what I have read here.
I understand. I just would like to see it. I obviously have not seen it and I don't see it in any of the threads already linked.