[Ask] Questions about pattern changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalvros

5 Year Member
Good evening to all experts.
Just wanted to ask something about pattern changes.
Specifically about Radiated and Yniphora tortoises.

As these 2 grows older, do their pattern change a lot?

For example, I had a friend who had this radiated tortoise.
When it's like 6-7cm, the yellow pattern on it goes plenty.
radihyyellowhead.jpg

Then later on after it grows (around 30cm),
the yellow started to dissapear and more blacks appear;
[imghttp://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x12/luvpet/5541Small.jpg[/img]

My question is, does it go the same for yniphora?
Like, when it's 6-7cm it looks like this;
12042010468.jpg

and then later on at adult size, the black markings
would dissapear and more yellow appears like this?
Ploughshare-tortoise.jpg

PS: Please note that I am only using the pictures for examples
to provide a better understanding of the questions I am asking.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's my take on the subject. In the first of your two pictures, the tortoise has been indoors. Once he starts living outside in the sun all the time, his color changes to look like the second picture.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Yvonne, when my sulcata was inside year round with very minimal sun exposure "for the first 4.5 years of its life", he was very dark. Once he was outside all the time, his carapace lightened up and now only the new growth is dark in color.

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
With my experience with my radiata the sun does some bleaching of total shell and pattern. This tends to be true of my other patterned tortoises...

Stalvros

5 Year Member
So basically,
mroe sun -> more yellow?

What if you are indoor and still want that bleach effect?
will UVA + UVB lightings do?

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Sorry... Am I to understand that you want a bleached looking tortoise?
Pattern is genetic (generally can not be changed)... Color is genetic to a certain point...
Tortoise shells weather, chemically (acid rain, contact with soil and plant chemicals)
Over time (lifetime) weathering (abrating) of the shell by wind carried soil particles (sand blasting if you will) natural of course, water (rain, soaking, crossing currents), intense sunlight, cooling and reheating all change the color intensity. All of the above occurring naturally. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME... You will harm your animal... Let nature take its course...
In cold climates some tortoises species will darken their color, in hot climates lighten their color...
I just can not imagine someone wishing to purposely change the color and pattern of their pet:(... It is that color, pattern, shape and size that make them who they are...:)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Turtlechasers said:
Sorry... Am I to understand that you want a bleached looking tortoise?
Pattern is genetic (generally can not be changed)... Color is genetic to a certain point...
Tortoise shells weather, chemically (acid rain, contact with soil and plant chemicals)
Over time (lifetime) weathering (abrating) of the shell by wind carried soil particles (sand blasting if you will) natural of course, water (rain, soaking, crossing currents), intense sunlight, cooling and reheating all change the color intensity. All of the above occurring naturally. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME... You will harm your animal... Let nature take its course...
In cold climates some tortoises species will darken their color, in hot climates lighten their color...
I just can not imagine someone wishing to purposely change the color and pattern of their pet:(... It is that color, pattern, shape and size that make them who they are...:)

:)

Stalvros

5 Year Member
Yeah, don't worry.
I don't intend to bleach my tortoises :).
Still loves them no matter what color they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.