As a new member/new tortie mom..

shawnateerow

Location (City and/or State)
Maurice
First off, I want to thank everyone who has given me helpful advice on here..it is a godsend❤ unlike many on here, I am brand new to this and learning quickly as I go. I work 70+ hours a week, take care of 5 furbabies, and every other waking moment has been researching for and take care of my 3 baby sulcatas..two of which were sent to me in not so great shape. We are making great progress, with tons more to go.

So thank you again for all you super supportive, seasoned tort owners for all your help and advice!

To any others who only wish to make rude comments, or show your disapproval of all of us who are learning, please **** off and keep it to yourselves?
.. because it does nothing for me OR my babies

Thanks!

shawnateerow

Maurice
Wow. Seventy hours and lots of animals? I wish I had the darn energy for that! I’ve for sure worked 70 hr weeks, but that was before I had my 3 torts. You rock!

Aww thank you? a bit of tmi...we have been trying for a baby for a few years with issues, so my animals are my babies and I love them like children. My father in law is getting me a baby donkey soon to keep the coyotes away when my torts get older so ill really be getting no sleep?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
A donkey keeps coyotes away? Really? How does that work? I would have thought a coyote would eat a donkey, but thinking about it, I guess a donkey is too big. I'm fascinated! :D

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
A donkey keeps coyotes away? Really? How does that work? I would have thought a coyote would eat a donkey, but thinking about it, I guess a donkey is too big. I'm fascinated! :D
Donkeys will kill coyotes. It isn't all that uncommon anymore to see a couple donkeys in with a herd of cattle, especially when there are calves involved.

@shawnateerow From what I've heard, donkeys don't necessarily make a distinction between domestic dogs and their wild counterparts. You may want to factor that in for the safety of your fur babies before you commit to getting a donkey.

I think @Tom will probably tell you that your best defense to protect your tortoises (when they're older) against evening predators will be to have your tortoises secured in their well constructed night boxes every night.

shawnateerow

Maurice

They kick the crap out of them? i was shocked too. Perks of half my in laws being farmers, I feel like I learn something new everyday!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Donkeys will kill coyotes. It isn't all that uncommon anymore to see a couple donkeys in with a herd of cattle, especially when there are calves involved.

@shawnateerow From what I've heard, donkeys don't necessarily make a distinction between domestic dogs and their wild counterparts. You may want to factor that in for the safety of your fur babies before you commit to getting a donkey.

I think @Tom will probably tell you that your best defense to protect your tortoises (when they're older) against evening predators will be to have your tortoises secured in their well constructed night boxes every night.
Agreed on all counts. I have a donkey. We all know to keep all dogs and other animals out of Petey's pen and pasture. He's tried to stomp more than one errant dog. I've never tried to see what he'd do to a tortoise, but I suspect he'd stomp them too. We have coyotes all over the hills around us. Hear them every night and see sign every day. They have never come onto my ranch. I've seen coyotes run between ranches, quickly, but with 30 dogs on my ranch and dog kennels on either side of me, they don't hover for long. Occasionally we will get one that is very bold and desensitized to people. These are quickly shot by neighbors. The survivors learn to stay away from people and properties.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Agreed on all counts. I have a donkey. We all know to keep all dogs and other animals out of Petey's pen and pasture. He's tried to stomp more than one errant dog. I've never tried to see what he'd do to a tortoise, but I suspect he'd stomp them too. We have coyotes all over the hills around us. Hear them every night and see sign every day. They have never come onto my ranch. I've seen coyotes run between ranches, quickly, but with 30 dogs on my ranch and dog kennels on either side of me, they don't hover for long. Occasionally we will get one that is very bold and desensitized to people. These are quickly shot by neighbors. The survivors learn to stay away from people and properties.

We have cows and calves in a pen behind my house so the donkey will stay in there but since it will be a baby I'm going to try to expose it to my pup and all the "do not hurt" animals slowly and early as it grows ?

shawnateerow

Maurice
Sun time??

Attachments

• 20200925_145656.jpg
    20200925_145656.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200925_145733.jpg
    20200925_145733.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200925_145736.jpg