Arizona heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a 6 pound Sulcata and nice enclosure outside under a big mesquite trees with a mist system; My question is it is 115 degrees here and when I go out to get my torti he looks overheated; Is it to hot for him to be outside; He also has a nice enclosure inside with a uvb lamp; Should I keep him in until temps go down; I can't put him out in the morning as I leave for work at 7:30 and don't get home until 7 at night; Any suggestions.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I'm not a Sulcata owner nor do my temps get anywhere that hot, but, does he have access to water? Something big enough to get into to cool down, not just drink from?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
mwindman, I don't have a Sully either but I know in Africa they will burrow up to 20 + feet down to escape the heat. I have Greeks and when the temps get that hot I bring mine inside. Overheating can cause dehydration and mine do not burrow. Just some things to think about. If your Sully is not burrowing I would concider bringing him inside, if thats an option. JMHO Just make sure they are well hydrated.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Has your sulcata made a burrow?

I have several friends who breed sulcatas and keep them outside in Arizona year round. Some of the biggest sulcata breeders in the country keep their tortoises outside all the time in Arizona.

I live in Arizona and keep a russian tortoise outside and I keep the stars outside when I have the day off. The temps have been around 115 but I provide them with shade and plenty of hiding places. I also like to spray down their outdoor pen with water

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I think as long as he can escape the sun, and he knows where the mist is, he would be fine. Just have a lot of hides. And at 6 pounds i would even soak him in the tub or pool so he stays hydrated.

Y

You Me and Mr T

We live in Phoenix and are also struggling with the heat. Mr T lives outside and has a shaded burrow and a shaded dogloo. The burrow is probably cooler during the day because it gets more of a breeze, so that's where he sleeps. At night, he sleeps in the middle of the grass. I figure the grass is slightly damp and feels good, so that's why he sleeps there at night? We have the sprinklers set to go off for 5 minutes, three times during the day in case he wants a shower. He has access to a water dish and a mud pit, but I have never actually seen him drink from the dish or use the mud pit.

We're concerned that he's dehydrated so on the weekend we soak him in a kiddie pool for as long as he'll let us (5-10 mins). It seems like he doesn't like to soak because he constantly tries to clime out of the pool. We feel like he is very stressed out during the soak. Is this normal for an adult sulcata?

Is there anything else we can d to keep him cool?

~Jason

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tortimer is happy in Tempe.

He hides for the heat of the day though. This time of the year I see him out grazing around 6:30 AM. and then back out after 5:00 PM.
He has shaded areas but no burrows. this is his second summer outside.

My sully drinks for his dish all the time, it's part of his routine.
My sully very much follows the same routine everyday, modifying it depending on the temps outside.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't have any sulcatas, but I keep other tortoises outside. They have plenty of shade and plenty of plants to hide in.

Provide mud wallows. I wouldn't soak a sulcata especially a bigger one, but by providing a mud wallow (preferably in the shade) you provide the option for the sulcata to cool off/soak when he/she wants to.

I live in Phoenix as well. Plant some trees nearby the enclosure. Put some potted plants. My enclosures are close to the house so they get good shade from the house.

My torts are rarely active during the hottest part of the day....mostly active just to come see me. They are active during the morning and evening hours when the sun is more forgiving.

Good luck!

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My sulcata has shade and a house, hides and a little pool but I never see him use it; He can burrow but doesn't do much; He does love to soak in the house in the sink; He will stay in there for about 30 minutes just all sprawled out. So that is the reason I am afraid to leave him out in 115 degrees.

You Me and Mr T said:
We live in Phoenix and are also struggling with the heat. Mr T lives outside and has a shaded burrow and a shaded dogloo. The burrow is probably cooler during the day because it gets more of a breeze, so that's where he sleeps. At night, he sleeps in the middle of the grass. I figure the grass is slightly damp and feels good, so that's why he sleeps there at night? We have the sprinklers set to go off for 5 minutes, three times during the day in case he wants a shower. He has access to a water dish and a mud pit, but I have never actually seen him drink from the dish or use the mud pit.

We're concerned that he's dehydrated so on the weekend we soak him in a kiddie pool for as long as he'll let us (5-10 mins). It seems like he doesn't like to soak because he constantly tries to clime out of the pool. We feel like he is very stressed out during the soak. Is this normal for an adult sulcata?

Is there anything else we can d to keep him cool?

~Jason

My did not like the pool but loves the kitchen sink; Maybe try different soaking area.

Y

You Me and Mr T

mwindman said:
My did not like the pool but loves the kitchen sink; Maybe try different soaking area.

Mr T. is too large for the kitchen sink. He weighs 80+ lbs. and operates on his own terms. I'm thinking a bigger mud pit/pond may be the ticket.

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You Me and Mr T said:
mwindman said:

Mr T. is too large for the kitchen sink. He weighs 80+ lbs. and operates on his own terms. I'm thinking a bigger mud pit/pond may be the ticket.

definently that is too large for the kitchen sink; so I like your idea of a pond.

I appreciate all of your ideas; He has 2 big mesquite trees but we are having problems keeping any kind of grass or plants alive out there; he has a pool and can burrow but won't do either one; His face gets all wet and looks sweaty is this a sign of overheating or what are the signs to watch for;

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
mwindman said:
You Me and Mr T said:
mwindman said:

definently that is too large for the kitchen sink; so I like your idea of a pond.

I appreciate all of your ideas; He has 2 big mesquite trees but we are having problems keeping any kind of grass or plants alive out there; he has a pool and can burrow but won't do either one; His face gets all wet and looks sweaty is this a sign of overheating or what are the signs to watch for;

try to plant native plants that the tortoises can eat such as aloe vera, prickly pear, hibiscus, and bermuda grass. Grass and hibiscus need more frequent watering.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mwindman said:
[ His face gets all wet and looks sweaty is this a sign of overheating or what are the signs to watch for;

Overheating is usually shown as foaming from the mouth. Your tortoise's wet face just might be overheating. Can you put up one of those individual misters and aim it towards his favorite hiding place. Here in my area, you can find them at Home Depot or Lowe's. Its just a little green spring-like tubing with a misting head on one end and a hose connection on the other. You attach the hose to it and attach the mister to something you want to cool. Just turn on the hose a little bit...doesn't need much pressure to send out a nice cooling mist.

Yvonne

auerdoan

5 Year Member
so cal
Sounds like my Leopord tort.
He runs for cover if i pull him out into the sun.
I dug him a hole he can go into. when i see the hole getting really dry i put the water hose in it. The dirt soaks it up in no time. the hole in the ground is about 10 degrees cooler.
He loves it.
Ive seen mine put his head in water for about twenty seconds before, then come out smacking his lips he must of been thirsty.
I imagine if you give your tort some opportunity to for shade/ place to keep cool, he can do so if they choose

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:
mwindman said:
You Me and Mr T said:
mwindman said:

try to plant native plants that the tortoises can eat such as aloe vera, prickly pear, hibiscus, and bermuda grass. Grass and hibiscus need more frequent watering.

He has aloe, prickly pear and petunias but still loves his dandelions;

emysemys said:
mwindman said:
[ His face gets all wet and looks sweaty is this a sign of overheating or what are the signs to watch for;

Overheating is usually shown as foaming from the mouth. Your tortoise's wet face just might be overheating. Can you put up one of those individual misters and aim it towards his favorite hiding place. Here in my area, you can find them at Home Depot or Lowe's. Its just a little green spring-like tubing with a misting head on one end and a hose connection on the other. You attach the hose to it and attach the mister to something you want to cool. Just turn on the hose a little bit...doesn't need much pressure to send out a nice cooling mist.

Yvonne

He has 6 mist system spouts and one is on his house roof inside pointing on him but he is funny he doesn't like it spinkling on top of him.

rustynail777

5 Year Member
I live in phoenix as well,What I have is a shallow pond with shade over it(big umbrella) I made it out of concrete so its easy to clean with a hose and broom. She will sit in there when shes hot and just chill out.

I also turn the sprinklers on for her a few times a day,she will come right up to the sprinkler and sit on it sometimes,or I will just hose her down.After that shes cooled off and starts eating grass again.

I too get worried,but i figure if you provide them with ways to cool off they should be fine.
I will try to take some pics of the enclosure this week and put them up.
-Mike

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a large Sulcata that I keep in the Pacific NorthWest...On our hot days it's in the low 90's and Bob's eyes run then. I know it's not as hot here and our 90 days are few, but he has a mud wallow and he uses that regularly when it's hot. It sounds to me that your tort is too hot, but if he is eating and acting normal I wouldn't worry too much. But I am kinda confused, you say you can't put him out while you are at work so is he inside a hot enclosuer without air conditioning?

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I have a large Sulcata that I keep in the Pacific NorthWest...On our hot days it's in the low 90's and Bob's eyes run then. I know it's not as hot here and our 90 days are few, but he has a mud wallow and he uses that regularly when it's hot. It sounds to me that your tort is too hot, but if he is eating and acting normal I wouldn't worry too much. But I am kinda confused, you say you can't put him out while you are at work so is he inside a hot enclosuer without air conditioning?

He is inside the house in his big enclosure with air conditioning around 83 to 85 degrees with his uvb lamp, food, and a large pie plate with water;

maggie3fan said:

How do I make a mud wallow that would stay wet during the day? We have a well so I can't leave the water running a lot during the day; would a small trickle of water do it or is there a way to make something that would keep the dirt wet?

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
does a mud hole in AZ = a mosquito farm?
there was a foreclosed house a couple down from mine last year, and you couldn't go outside all summer without being attacked by mosquitos. it was bad. at dusk I'd get 5 or more bites in just a few minuets..

Y

You Me and Mr T

aktech23 said:
does a mud hole in AZ = a mosquito farm?
there was a foreclosed house a couple down from mine last year, and you couldn't go outside all summer without being attacked by mosquitos. it was bad. at dusk I'd get 5 or more bites in just a few minuets..

Not in the summer. When it's 110 degrees, the mosquitoes don't survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.