Argentine tegu update

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
I havent made a thread in a long while so i figured i'd stop by and give everyone an update on Cato, my black and white argentine tegu. He just turned 6 months january 2nd. He is currently 35 inches now, i'm really positive he is a male. I also recently purchased my first tarantula, an avicularia versicolor sling. I am thinking of getting a terrestrial species as well. I am sticking to more docile species, and so far i really like the mexican red knee & chaco golden knee, but if anyone has any suggestions for a terrestrial species feel free to add!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389285672.116921.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389285705.138213.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389285718.398735.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Your tegu is gorgeous. I love him!

As for the tarantula, I can't comment. I love lizards, turts/torts, and snakes of all kinds but I hate spiders. Sorry!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I am not familiar with spiders at all, but it looks really neat, almost fake. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cato looks great! How is the handling and taming going? Be careful when you take him outside once the weather warms up. The UV supercharges their normally docile indoor brains at first.

Love the versicolor too. You got a nice one. I used to keep pink toes, A. avicularia, and loved them too.

I like Grammostola better than Brachypelma for ground species. The Grammostola are much less apt to flick urticating hairs at you. I had B. smithi in the past and liked them, but now I only have G. aureostriata (recently renamed G. pulchripes) and G. pulchra. I love both of these and have no complaints about either.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I was wondering where you have been . That tegu has gotten big . Cool looking spider but you can keep them things . I hate spiders they freak me out .

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Im deathly afraid of spiders, which is why i got one, i like to face my fears. And in all honesty media makes a big hype about spiders and how creepy they are. They dont attack people or bother people, the only reason they would bite is for defense. I love my little spider he just wanders about and he looks beautiful for a spider :)!
- tom, thanks!! Taming and handling is great. I can pick him up okay and usually set him on my shoulder so he doesnt move around to much. He is great temperament as well, i can pet him and he will come want attention as well. He has learned to scratch at his door nonstop until i let him out which can get annoying lol. The only complaint i have is my arms and hands when im done handling but i am waiting for warmer weather to try your suggestion of using the cement to file down the nails a tad. Thanks everyone!

I actually check the forum frequently, i just dont give out much advice anymore because people wont listen to someone who doesnt have a tort anymore. Ive been thinking of getting another tortoise but not quite sure yet. I'm trying to save up money and move to california to be with my girlfriend so a lot of money goes to savings. Its better to hold off on other pets until i'm moved and have a place to live. My girlfriend also bought a tarantula, she got a sling chaco golden knee :). She is going today to possibly trade it for something else because her arm broke out when holding him with bumps and redness. Not sure if it was flicking hairs or if shes allergic but it didnt happen with her avicularia so we will see. Hope everyone is doing good!

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Re: RE: Argentine tegu update

EchoTheLeoTort said:
Im deathly afraid of spiders, which is why i got one, i like to face my fears. And in all honesty media makes a big hype about spiders and how creepy they are. They dont attack people or bother people, the only reason they would bite is for defense. I love my little spider he just wanders about and he looks beautiful for a spider :)!
- tom, thanks!! Taming and handling is great. I can pick him up okay and usually set him on my shoulder so he doesnt move around to much. He is great temperament as well, i can pet him and he will come want attention as well. He has learned to scratch at his door nonstop until i let him out which can get annoying lol. The only complaint i have is my arms and hands when im done handling but i am waiting for warmer weather to try your suggestion of using the cement to file down the nails a tad. Thanks everyone!

I was afraid of spiders until I had to watch my friend's tarantula for a week. It was such a chill little dude. He just sat on my knee and watched Friends with me!

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I actually check the forum frequently, i just dont give out much advice anymore because people wont listen to someone who doesnt have a tort anymore. Ive been thinking of getting another tortoise but not quite sure yet. I'm trying to save up money and move to california to be with my girlfriend so a lot of money goes to savings. Its better to hold off on other pets until i'm moved and have a place to live. My girlfriend also bought a tarantula, she got a sling chaco golden knee :). She is going today to possibly trade it for something else because her arm broke out when holding him with bumps and redness. Not sure if it was flicking hairs or if shes allergic but it didnt happen with her avicularia so we will see. Hope everyone is doing good!