Are we looking healthy?

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Is my new adopted Russian looking ok? I've done a tiny beak trim, plan to do a tiny bit more then let it do the rest naturally. Been soaking every day, her face still feels pretty dry. I often find her drinking for long periods of time too. I only set her on the floor for photos, so that's why there's a phone cord in the pic. Oops... :(

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419038834.822762.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419038845.845531.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419038856.250724.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419038872.492983.jpg

Tyanna

Wisconsin
She already eating so much better after the first one, and it's naturally wearing down already! I def want to trim off a tiny bit more, but she's doing fabulous! I'm so happy.

I'm hoping the dry head goes away with a few more daily soaks..

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Personally, I'd trim the beak more. I've only done a handful of beak trims on turtles and torts but every time I did it, I trimmed it to where it should be.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Personally, I'd trim the beak more. I've only done a handful of beak trims on turtles and torts but every time I did it, I trimmed it to where it should be.

That was the first time I had ever trimmed a beak, and it was a few days after I brought her home. After I got the hang of how to do it, it had by then exceeded stress level for me, and I'm assuming her.

I think the next trim will be the last, & I'll know how to do it quick & easy, and know exactly how far to go.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Which reminds me, I would just like to see a photo of a female with their beak at a good length. My males looks completely different than my females so I can't really compare..

rachels-torts

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419086683.883398.jpg
This is probably about the ideal length a RT beak should be. Other than that, she looks pretty healthy to me! :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Tyanna, she looks good, and having another beak trim will help her. Keep up the soaking - you can pour some water over her head with a spoon to help the dry skin on her head. Misting her and her enclosure regularly will help as well. In tortoises, everything happens slowly, so the improvements you are making to her care and daily life will take a while to show their fruits.
Once she gets to spend the Summer outdoors, you'll surely see enormous improvements in her shell, too.

Keep up the good work!