2017 Rescue# 57:
2017 Rescue #57 a.jpg

2017 Rescue #58:
2017 Rescue #58 c.jpg

2017 Rescue #59:
2017 Rescue #59 c.jpg

2017 Rescue #69:
2017 Rescue #69 b.jpg 2017 Rescue #69 c.jpg

This is unheard of - getting in so many smooth sulcatas! The first picture was a burned carapace from being too close to the light, but even so you can see he's smooth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't have your answer, but more and more people are learning.

If any of those tortoises are more than 5-6 years old, I doubt the new info had much to do with it.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I know I am learning from these posts and info.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I don't have your answer, but more and more people are learning.

If any of those tortoises are more than 5-6 years old, I doubt the new info had much to do with it.
That's what I'm thinking. Charlie wasn't raised with any of the correct information and he is pretty smooth. These were probably raised in the same climate with similar conditions.

Bee62

Germany
In Germany I see a lot of pyramided sulcatas ( on craiglists ) younger and older ones.
So sad !
And when I write in a german tortoise forum that I soak my torts daily, other members answer my post that daily soaking is bad for the tortoise.
We are many, many years behind I think, but I have a thread in a german tortoise forum where I describe the development and growth of my sullies and explain why they need humidity and soaks and water to drink and to bath in.
Mayby some people learn what these wonderful creatures need to grow up healthy.
http://www.testudo-forum.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=30082

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In Germany I see a lot of pyramided sulcatas ( on craiglists ) younger and older ones.
So sad !
And when I write in a german tortoise forum that I soak my torts daily, other members answer my post that daily soaking is bad for the tortoise.
We are many, many years behind I think, but I have a thread in a german tortoise forum where I describe the development and growth of my sullies and explain why they need humidity and soaks and water to drink and to bath in.
Mayby some people learn what these wonderful creatures need to grow up healthy.
http://www.testudo-forum.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=30082

Man I wish I could read German right now! What is Jutta saying to you? I can smell the contention from here!!!

Sounds like they are repeating the same wrong info that we all used to repeat here for 3 decades.

Bee62

Germany
Man I wish I could read German right now! What is Jutta saying to you? I can smell the contention from here!!!

Sounds like they are repeating the same wrong info that we all used to repeat here for 3 decades.
Use a translator !:D:p
Jutta is a MOD. She gave me the advice to use sand and soil for my sullies, no orchid bark. But to be honest, I got there also good informations. But when I mentioned that I soak the torts every day they all "cry" no !:D
Yes, there is sometimes a mood for contention but I don`t want that and I always try to keep me and the others calm. It works !
You can achieve more if you stay calm:D

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Use a translator !:D:p
Jutta is a MOD. She gave me the advice to use sand and soil for my sullies, no orchid bark. But to be honest, I got there also good informations. But when I mentioned that I soak the torts every day they all "cry" no !:D
Yes, there is sometimes a mood for contention but I don`t want that and I always try to keep me and the others calm. It works !
You can achieve more if you stay calm:D
Actually I was surprised at how much I could figure out from the German. A lot of the words are similar to English. At one point, you said something like "That is a good idea....Thank you for the tip."

Bee62

Germany
Actually I was surprised at how much I could figure out from the German. A lot of the words are similar to English. At one point, you said something like "That is a good idea....Thank you for the tip."

:D:D:D

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
We are many, many years behind I think
I don't think so, we just have a different... mindset?
According to our understanding of husbandry, if a tortoise HAS to be soaked daily to grow healthy in captivity but noone has to soak it in the wild must mean there's something wrong with the enclosure, so one should try to make it more natural.
I have to admit, very few people in the German-speaking world have experience with sulcatas, but we have lots of testudo hatchlings and manage to raise them smooth and healthy.

Bee62

Germany
I don't think so, we just have a different... mindset?
According to our understanding of husbandry, if a tortoise HAS to be soaked daily to grow healthy in captivity but noone has to soak it in the wild must mean there's something wrong with the enclosure, so one should try to make it more natural.
I have to admit, very few people in the German-speaking world have experience with sulcatas, but we have lots of testudo hatchlings and manage to raise them smooth and healthy.
I think the problem is that only a few people really know how sulcatas live in their natural habitat in the wild. I am saerching since I have my little ones for answers to my questions like:
- how warm and humid is it usually in a burrow where sulcatas live ?
- how long is the rainy moonsun time when the babies hatch ?
- how long have the tortoises accsess to fresh green gras and weeds in the year ?
- how are day temps and night temps trough the year where the tortoises live?

I`ve joined facebook groups about sulcatas but there are the same outdated informations. I searched the I-net about animals of the Sahel Zone but found nothing about sulcata tortoises. The best and newest informations I found here on TFO.
Informations about Testudo tortoises are available everywhere. That is the difference I think.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I think the problem is that only a few people really know how sulcatas live in their natural habitat in the wild. I am saerching since I have my little ones for answers to my questions like:
- how warm and humid is it usually in a burrow where sulcatas live ?
- how long is the rainy moonsun time when the babies hatch ?
- how long have the tortoises accsess to fresh green gras and weeds in the year ?
- how are day temps and night temps trough the year where the tortoises live?

I`ve joined facebook groups about sulcatas but there are the same outdated informations. I searched the I-net about animals of the Sahel Zone but found nothing about sulcata tortoises. The best and newest informations I found here on TFO.
Informations about Testudo tortoises are available everywhere. That is the difference I think.
Well, just compare the testudo care sheets here on TFO to informations in German forums or recently published books - there's a huge difference in recommended husbandry.
I'm sure lack of information makes it more difficult to care for sulcatas, but the basic needs of all tortoise hatchlings seem to be more or less similar.

Bee62

Germany
Here is another "bad" example for misunderstanding what sulcata tortoises are and what they need. It is a German craig list where I found this. These two torts hatched in 2015. They seem to me very small ( my guys from 2016 are bigger ) and they are pyramided.
The look at their enclosure tells you their story: Kept way too dry without a water dish and fed cucumber and hay.
Poor little torts !
The owner wants 800 Euros für them and that way too small enclosure. He is crazy .....
https://www.deine-tierwelt.de/klein...-geochelone-sulcata-inkl-terrarium-a83069182/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here is another "bad" example for misunderstanding what sulcata tortoises are and what they need. It is a German craig list where I found this. These two torts hatched in 2015. They seem to me very small ( my guys from 2016 are bigger ) and they are pyramided.
The look at their enclosure tells you their story: Kept way too dry without a water dish and fed cucumber and hay.
Poor little torts !
The owner wants 800 Euros für them and that way too small enclosure. He is crazy .....
https://www.deine-tierwelt.de/klein...-geochelone-sulcata-inkl-terrarium-a83069182/

Yes, they seem awfully dry, plus eating all that dirt stuck to their food can't be good for their insides. Think about it: Tortoises don't eat much food directly off the ground in the wild. They bite their food off of stems or leaves or blades that are up off the ground.

Henrym1111

Florida
Poor
Poor little torts !
Poor Sullys, they look so dry! Do they tell people to keep the humidity up in Germany?