Are They going to be DEAD ???? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Good luck in the morning!! I will keep checking for an update!!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yea, you really have to be picky who you purchase animals from. How did you guys decide on the shipping?? Was the price of the turtles including shipping? Or was shipping added onto the price after you chose to purchase them?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I only ship overnight. I could see a rationale for some slower methods for certain animals in certain weather conditions, but I still only ship overnight. Most packages get delivered before (often well before) 10:30am. Some that are a bit off the beaten path get there by noon. The last truck from the Fed-Ex World Service Center leaves at 8pm, so I hand over the packages to the nice ladies at the counter around 7pm to avoid excess time in the shipping container. The more you do it, the easier it seems.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Baoh said:
I only ship overnight. I could see a rationale for some slower methods for certain animals in certain weather conditions, but I still only ship overnight. Most packages get delivered before (often well before) 10:30am. Some that are a bit off the beaten path get there by noon.

Then there are those of us out in the middle of the cornfield which never see a truck before 3 pm, usually around 5 pm.

So how did they do????

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Jacqui said:
Baoh said:
I only ship overnight. I could see a rationale for some slower methods for certain animals in certain weather conditions, but I still only ship overnight. Most packages get delivered before (often well before) 10:30am. Some that are a bit off the beaten path get there by noon.

Then there are those of us out in the middle of the cornfield which never see a truck before 3 pm, usually around 5 pm.

So how did they do????

That can certainly happen for more remote destinations, but it is still not all that bad. Better 3pm or 5pm next day than 3pm or 5pm three days later.

Nedy

5 Year Member
Wichita, KS
I too am sorry you are going through this and I agree with the post that reminds us all we don't need more negative thoughts at this point in time. Lessons will be learned from this experience regardless of the outcome and I hope everything turns out just fine for the little boxies.
I'm constantly amazed at how resilient our native box turtles are. I have high hopes that yours will arrive alive and ready for a nice soak and a juicy earthworm! Let's all hold that thought. It would be helpful to know who your supplier is however. He might appreciate some helpful advice regarding the humane overnight shipping options for live animals.

luvpetz27 said:
I feel very bad for you. You do not need to hear negative things right now!! You need
support! Please try and stay calm. Do u know if the shipper put holes in their box?
You have never done this before and I know it is scary for you! Please do not think the worst and try to hang in there.
One good thing is that they are not babies. They are adults. I wish someone else would reply more info to you! I am very upset also! I cant believe it was supposed to only be 2 days! I am so sorry you are going thru this!!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So sorry this is happening. Best of luck with the torts. Please, keep us posted. Sending you positive thoughts.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I had my tort shipped over winter and it took a week for him to get here(Christmas shopping despite not being close Christmas) my tort was still warm an alive, just thirsty and hungry.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
CourtneyG said:
I had my tort shipped over winter and it took a week for him to get here(Christmas shopping despite not being close Christmas) my tort was still warm an alive, just thirsty and hungry.

I would have zero worry over the winter here for most species of tortoise, too. The summer would have me concerned. I ship as I described earlier in the thread and I still worry about the animals until I get the message that they have arrived safely to their new owners. I sent out several animals on Monday for arrival Tuesday morning and I still worried despite them all arriving earlier than their deadlines and in perfect shape.

Sandra, any updates? I hope all worked out well.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I just heard from her everyone!! :)
She got them and they are just fine. They are not eating and she is concerned. I told her they were probably stressed from the shipping and they should eat when they get settled in!! :) I had sent her a pm because I was wondering like all of you and she replied! :) I am so happy for her! They will be so happy in their new beautiful enclosure she made for them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
That is wonderful news. I would not worry about them not eating this early.

abclements

5 Year Member
Awesome! Glad to hear they're doing ok! Give em a soak and they'll be right as rain in no time!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
That's great! [THUMBS UP SIGN]

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So glad we can stop worrying about this bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.