Are they ever happy?

Mrs.T

5 Year Member
I've had my snake tam for almost a year. His tank is set up exactly as we were told by the reptile shop and he is nice and healthy. Sheds well by himself and enjoys his food. He's not keen on being handled, not vicious and has never nipped he's just nervous and tries to get away. In his tank he sleeps most if the day, come 5pm he's just desperate to escape from his tank. Every day without fail. He puts so much strength into pushing his way out he falls from the top of the tank. He's never been in the wild here in the ukImageUploadedByTortForum1381941350.324924.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He's not "un-happy". He's just doing what snakes do. You can put him in something larger and add more furniture, plants and a humid hide box. Give him more stuff to occupy his time.

His behavior sounds pretty normal. Usually they will settle down if you handle them and just carry them around a lot. Some do. Some don't.

Mrs.T

5 Year Member
That's pretty much what I was looking for. Is it normal. Glad it is. I wouldn't say he's unhappy he has a large tank for the size of him filled with things to climb, wrap around and hide in. He only has one plant and he seems to like it so he will get more at some point :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Milksnakes and many other colubrid species are pretty active and want to move about, especially compared to sedentary ball pythons and their ilk.

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
How large is his enclosure? You'd be surprised how much room they tend to need. As far as him not sitting still when you have him if he's between a year and two years then his activity level when you hold him will be up. Your body is warm and that alone gives him energy to move around more. I have one that is 2 1/2 and it's calming down more and more fun little guys. I still have to rope walk him though when he's out

Mrs.T

5 Year Member
His tank is like a large cube lol I'm not sure the dimensions but when we originally bought him the shop would not let us take him home until they knew we had limited the space in the tank as they said it was too big. Gradually we increased the amount of space he had and he's now in the whole thing. I'm not worried about him just wondered if it was normal behaviour. Think I might try and get him more to climb on and hide in. ATM he has a really big stick with bits branching out, his skull, water dish, a plant, an empty plant pot and the back of his tank has a 3d rock effect