are these weeds safe for my russian tortoise?

oceanmaster234

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
These weeds grow in abundance in my yard, so I wanted to know if they were safe for my russian herman to eat. IMG_0270.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I take it you ended up buying a tortoise, then? After your earlier posts this month.

It’s really hard to identify plants when they are plucked out of the ground and/or multiple plants are put together in one photo or a single post. But I’ll try.

On the top right and middle right, those are spurges. Not recommended for tortoise who don’t eat them in their native range. If your tortoise is indoors, I wouldn’t intentionally feed it. That said, my outside Russian shows zero interest in spurges. We do pull them from our yard; we don’t leave weeds out there she won’t eat because, well, they’re weeds and we don’t want them!

I have no idea what the bottom right is; it looks dead.

Lower left my be purslane, kinda fleshy and should taste a little sour if you taste it. Perfectly safe but won’t be a favorite unless your tortoise is on the thirsty side.

No clue on the upper left.

oceanmaster234

Texas
Thanks for the response! I guess i'll be sticking to romaine and spring mix then ;). And yes! I did get my tortoise about a few weeks back! Here are some pictures of him, He is such a great pet and my very first tort!IMG_0273.jpeg IMG_0272.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Gotta have some plantain weeds near by, even hibiscus and zinnia leaves and blooms. Also opuntia cactus