Are these tortoise pellets ok?

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Merry Christmas all!
I got this large amount of tortoise food for Christmas and I'm not sure if he can have it. It says it's got lots of fiber and protein. I always heard this was bad got torts?

By the way I have a hermann's tortoise.

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_124232549.jpg
    IMG_20201225_124232549.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20201225_124312686.jpg
    IMG_20201225_124312686.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 67

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Merry Christmas all!
I got this large amount of tortoise food for Christmas and I'm not sure if he can have it. It says it's got lots of fiber and protein. I always heard this was bad got torts?

By the way I have a hermann's tortoise.
That is an excellent supplemental tortoise food. Its a great way to add fiber and variety to grocery store greens.

Soak a pellet or two and mix that in with her days greens once its all mushy.

There is one problem with it. Most tortoises don't like it at first. It will take some time to introduce the new food, but don't give up. Eventually your tortoise will love it. Start with one tiny little broken piece of a pellet. So little that its almost undetectable. Gradually, over time, you can add more and more of the ZooMed pellets to the other foods.

Its also perfectly fine to use the forest tortoise type in this way for any species. Its not too high in protein for a well hydrated tortoise.

Skip K

Virginia
For the pelleted part of our torts and turtles diets...I only feed Zoomed products. Grassland and Forest for our various torts...Zoomed Aquatic for our Black Wood turtle and Zoomed Box turtle pellets for well...thats self explanatory. It takes awhile for some torts to except...especially if they have been fed a pelleted diet before that used a “sweet” ingredient to elicit feed responses...but I’ve never had a problem getting any of our animals to accept Zoomed. Babies, rehomes, pet store rescues...all have accepted Zoomed from the start

Last edited:

Skip K

Virginia
Are zoomed pellets better than mazuri original for an eastern hermanns?
I don’t use Mazuri because one of the ingredients is cane molasses. I don’t like any type of sugar in a commercial diet and I simply like the Zoomed ingredients better. I was given a half a 25lb bag of original Mazuri by someone who was switching over to zoomed. I only feed it to the rescue boxies...on occasion...to just get rid of it and not waste it

Jasminemmm

Schaumburg, IL
That is an excellent supplemental tortoise food. Its a great way to add fiber and variety to grocery store greens.

Soak a pellet or two and mix that in with her days greens once its all mushy.

There is one problem with it. Most tortoises don't like it at first. It will take some time to introduce the new food, but don't give up. Eventually your tortoise will love it. Start with one tiny little broken piece of a pellet. So little that its almost undetectable. Gradually, over time, you can add more and more of the ZooMed pellets to the other foods.

Its also perfectly fine to use the forest tortoise type in this way for any species. Its not too high in protein for a well hydrated tortoise.
My tort won’t eat it... I guess I will just have to keep trying...

Skip K

Virginia
Another method for helping convert....try crushing the dry pellets into fine granules...dusting the greens with the crushed pellets...then misting everything with water

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did you read the part about torts not liking it and how to introduce it? I've never seen any tortoise like this food the first few times it was offered. All of them end of loving it once they get used to it, and I think its a great supplement.

Do keep trying, but start with hardly any. Just a tiny piece of a broken pellet soaked and then mixed in with a big pile of greens. Do this daily for a few weeks and gradually add more.

Jasminemmm

Schaumburg, IL
Did you read the part about torts not liking it and how to introduce it? I've never seen any tortoise like this food the first few times it was offered. All of them end of loving it once they get used to it, and I think its a great supplement.

Do keep trying, but start with hardly any. Just a tiny piece of a broken pellet soaked and then mixed in with a big pile of greens. Do this daily for a few weeks and gradually add more.
I’m glad I saw this post and this reply. I had stopped giving my tort the zoomed pellet and was thinking to return it... I will keep trying...until he takes it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m glad I saw this post and this reply. I had stopped giving my tort the zoomed pellet and was thinking to return it... I will keep trying...until he takes it...
Don't try to feed him the pellets. Soak a tiny piece of one pellet until it breaks apart and turns into small pieces. Then mix the soaked pieces in with the big pile of greens you are feeding to the tortoise that day. The tortoise will just be eating its greens with a little bit of "stuff" stuck to it. This is how they start to get used to it.

Jasminemmm

Schaumburg, IL
Don't try to feed him the pellets. Soak a tiny piece of one pellet until it breaks apart and turns into small pieces. Then mix the soaked pieces in with the big pile of greens you are feeding to the tortoise that day. The tortoise will just be eating its greens with a little bit of "stuff" stuck to it. This is how they start to get used to it.
Thank you! I took your advice and ground a small piece of the pellet and sprinkled them on his salad. He took it without knowing it~~so glad ?
7E134693-8963-409E-BFDF-FE623032EB57.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I took your advice and ground a small piece of the pellet and sprinkled them on his salad. He took it without knowing it~~so glad ?
View attachment 314293
Perfect! That's the whole idea. Getting them to eat it in such small quantities that they hardly notice it. Its almost like some "dirt" stuck to their food that they eat incidentally. Over time we add more and more of the new stuff, and they just gradually get used to it and start to like it.