Are these Sedum safe?

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, WA
95a83841-71c3-4e2e-aed0-1d88d23f1630-jpeg.310381

I found two plants at Lowe’s today here is one. Ok or not, not on Tort Table app.
86B76D85-42FB-453D-A8D0-842981CCFB73.jpeg

Attachments

• 95A83841-71C3-4E2E-AED0-1D88D23F1630.jpeg
    95A83841-71C3-4E2E-AED0-1D88D23F1630.jpeg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 34

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I never give my Russian anything grown from a nursery or florist. They use chemicals to encourage growth and the tort will ingest it from the plant. Anything I purchase from these places has to grow in my care (without chemical fertilizer) for at least a year before I offer it for food.
Safest bet is to grow your own from seed OR go to online tort food provider. Tom can give you their names.
I buy some fresh foods from the grocer: bok choy, cilantro, parsley, spring mix, collard greens and an occasional vegetable, ie: cucumber, bell pepper and yellow squash.
Good you are concerned. Best of luck.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Both the crassula and the sedum are “safe” in the sense that they are okay for a tortoise to eat. However, they have fertilizer in that soil that is NOT safe. The only way to make them safe is to remove all the soil from the roots, rinse under running water so there is no soil or debris in the roots, and repot in soil with NO fertilizer. After a few moths, it will be safe for your tortoise. Another option is to take a cutting and propagate a new plant in safe soil.

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA
Both the crassula and the sedum are “safe” in the sense that they are okay for a tortoise to eat. However, they have fertilizer in that soil that is NOT safe. The only way to make them safe is to remove all the soil from the roots, rinse under running water so there is no soil or debris in the roots, and repot in soil with NO fertilizer. After a few moths, it will be safe for your tortoise. Another option is to take a cutting and propagate a new plant in safe soil.
Thank you!!! I knew abut replanting, I keep a small area of plants with a grow light above for that reason. I just was not sure on the plants, most Sedum I've seen are safe but a few, I think, were bad. Don't think I've ever looked up the Crassula one before, but looked about the same, some not good either.

Thanks again!