Are these safe to feed?

Reptilony

Location (City and/or State)
QC, CAN
Maybe I posted in the wrong place before, does anyone knows if this seed mix would be ok to put in the enclosure or outside. Are these plantsIMG_1303.jpg ok to be given in large quantities?

snivloc16

Kansas
I would say no. There’s a couple plants in there that are no feeds and the others are feed sparingly.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
IMG_1304.jpgIMG_1305.jpgIMG_1306.jpgIMG_1307.jpg
These are the ones I found on TTable, I don’t know about the canola seeds and canary grass tho...Maybe a mix without the flax and sunflowers would be good.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yeah I found something on tortoisesupply but I don’t know if it’s a good company and they don’t say what’s in the mix.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
This is the mix Im looking at. I wanted the bermuda grass but when I click the link they give it says error found. I might send them an email to know what’s in there and get the bermuda. Anyone has any experience with this mix?IMG_1308.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a good mix for an African tortoise like a sulcata.

Hertfordshire
Hi x I'm growing a tortoise mix of seeds that I ordered from shelled worriors, does anyone know if all these plants are safe to feed? Thanks I'm growing them in small trays that I cha place in the enclosure xx

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Carolina Pet Supply has a lot of safe to feed seeds. They even have different blends depending on your tortoise breed. Most have free shipping too.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Carolina Pet Supply has a lot of safe to feed seeds. They even have different blends depending on your tortoise breed. Most have free shipping too.
They've been super slow with shipping lately. I used to buy from and recommend them, but people weren't getting their orders for 2-3 months. I hope they've gotten that issue sorted out.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I found this bird mix that would work better than the previous one. Only good stuff. My problem is also that without knowing if let's say the bermuda grass is good to eat it's hard to go with the tortoisesupply.com. I mean why would they not say what's in there? I think the customer deserve to know what he's buying and also why hide it? If they put bermuda grass seeds how can I know it's not just a regular bag of bermuda grass lawn seeds? If this is okay why would a regular bag of lawn seeds from walmart not be okay? I'll check out the store in carolina but if it takes 3 months to arrive it's not worth it. The search continues...2019-03-20%2021.16.07.jpeg

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
This is the mix Im looking at. I wanted the bermuda grass but when I click the link they give it says error found. I might send them an email to know what’s in there and get the bermuda. Anyone has any experience with this mix?
We stopped carrying or selling bermudagrass because it is extremely invasive and people don't realize that when planting it in their backyard. We have it taking over our backyard and while the tortoises love it, it's a pain to get rid of where you don't want it. There are many other grasses that are just as good and much less invasive, like our African grazer grass mix.

We don't list the exact ingredients in our mixes or herbal hay because we spent a lot of time and money (hired someone a lot smarter than I am) to create a unique blend for each for a tortoise's diet. Other vendors/people would just copy our mix and attempt to steal the work we have done and sell it for themselves (this has happened before when we published ingredient lists). If not knowing the ingredients is a deal breaker, I understand completely. Lots of people and companies don't publish ingredient lists in a situation like this for the same reason. ZooMed is currently trying to rip off our herbal hay mix (https://zoomed.com/tortoise-box-turtle-flower-food-topper/)

Last edited:

Reptilony

QC, CAN
We stopped carrying or selling bermudagrass because it is extremely invasive and people don't realize that when planting it in their backyard. We have it taking over our backyard and while the tortoises love it, it's a pain to get rid of where you don't want it. There are many other grasses that are just as good and much less invasive, like our African grazer grass mix.

Since you are here may I ask what is it that you put in that mix and why you choose not to show your customers? I wouldn’t eat something without knowing the ingredients and I wouldn’t make my tort eat something unknown. I’ve read positives things about this store but to me trust start with transparency.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Since you are here may I ask what is it that you put in that mix and why you choose not to show your customers? I wouldn’t eat something without knowing the ingredients and I wouldn’t make my tort eat something unknown. I’ve read positives things about this store but to me trust start with transparency.

It's explained above in my last post.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
If they put bermuda grass seeds how can I know it's not just a regular bag of bermuda grass lawn seeds? If this is okay why would a regular bag of lawn seeds from walmart not be okay?View attachment 267782
If you specifically want bermuda seeds, buying a bag of bermuda seeds from WalMart is okay. There's not really "special" bermuda seeds. When we sold bermuda, it was simple bermuda seed, very cheap and easy to get. Bermuda is great when it's grown in a field and harvested for cows and horses. It's also great to use in a school ball field when it's surrounded by concrete or asphalt as it's tough, water efficient, and recovers fast. Horrible idea for a backyard.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
If you specifically want bermuda seeds, buying a bag of bermuda seeds from WalMart is okay. There's not really "special" bermuda seeds. When we sold bermuda, it was simple bermuda seed, very cheap and easy to get. Bermuda is great when it's grown in a field and harvested for cows and horses. It's also great to use in a school ball field when it's surrounded by concrete or asphalt as it's tough, water efficient, and recovers fast. Horrible idea for a backyard.

Lol, unless you have a grass eating monster living on that backyard.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
IMG_1318.jpg Lol these guys are working hard!! Im just wondering if they are located in a desert they must be very far away from me, i’ve never seen one in my life! Maybe i’ll give them a try!