Are these normal things or should I be worried?

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I got my russian tortoise last month and he has adapted very well to his new environment although there are two things that have been causing me to be worried.

The first thing is he doesn't seem to crawl in his water dish by himself, throughout the day I'll put him in his water but he just walks out. He seems to only drink water while I'm giving him his warm soaks or when he eats. I would love to be reassured that he drinks while in his enclosure and not just when he gets his little baths.

The other thing that I am quite worried about is his skin seems to be shedding. On the side of his head, a "scale" peeled off which I panicked and tried to research as best I could but could not find if this happens normally to russian tortoises. He eats well, he has warm soaks a few times a week, he has the proper lighting at the right temps, cypress mulch mixed with coconut chips. He has a cuttle bone in his enclosure but I have never seen him eat it. I use repashy calcium with vitamin powder on his food twice weekly. I mist him and his substrate a few times a day and he sunbathes under his lights so I am not sure why peeling of his legs and shoulders and the scale on his face are peeling.

Any help would be great.

AnitaMarie

I believe as they get larger their skin seems to peel, thats what Ive been told at least. Mine is doing the same and seems fine.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Arnold seems fine with it too, it's really just me not being fine with it, especially with the "scale" on the right side of his head that flaked off. That is what really worried me. I dab a little of vitashell on his shell, legs and shoulders every two weeks and that makes a big difference.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I don't think Ive ever seen my Russians drink.. water is always avail however... they don't need the humidity like Sulcatas do..
I would not worry much.. but sunshine outside is important..