Are these Golden Greeks?i

mxexotics

Location (City and/or State)
Maine
I bought these guys last year as “Jordanian Greeks” and am now learning that isn’t that actual species, they’re just a normal Greek. Others saw they look like Golden Greeks.

I am looking at getting another Greek, but have come across Mesopotamian Greeks, are those the same? Are Golden Greeks just a lighter color/morph?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought these guys last year as “Jordanian Greeks” and am now learning that isn’t that actual species, they’re just a normal Greek. Others saw they look like Golden Greeks.

I am looking at getting another Greek, but have come across Mesopotamian Greeks, are those the same? Are Golden Greeks just a lighter color/morph?
Can you post pictures of them?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Pictures of your tortoises are needed to confirm subspecies.

The actual name of the subspecies you are asking about is Testudo graeca terrestris. They are also formally called Mesopotamian.

The term "Golden Greek" is a fabricated and inaccurate nickname, as not all of the hatchlings are golden in color. Some babies are also dark in color.

There are 4 known locales for the terrestris: Jordan, Gaza (also called Bodenheimer's Floweri), Syria, and Lebanon.

You can learn more on my website:
https://sweetgreektorts.com/terrestris