Are these Day Lilies?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Just want to confirm. If they are, are they safe? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: Ink

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Yes they are day lilies, I was always under the impression that lilies are toxic. I wouldn't feed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Day lilies are edible, however the Japanese day lilies are not edible, and they look very similar.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I always think that flowers that grow from tubers or bulbs shouldn't be fed. Yes there are exceptions, but there are too many other good foods to feed at this time of year than to risk poisoning one’s tort.

From TheTortTable

Flowers from Daylilies are not toxic and are fine as a treat. If leaves are nibbled occasionally there should be no problem, but do not feed large amounts as reports say that eating leaves of the Daylily in large quantities can cause hallucinations.

On no account should you allow your tortoise to eat the tuberous or fibrous roots of this plant.

N.B. ALL other Lilies are TOXIC so you must make a correct identification before feeding to your tortoise.

Day Lilies are not actually true lilies and are members of a different botanical family.

One way to differentiate the Daylily from other Lilies is that leaves of Daylilies are long and slender, with a central rib on the underside, and the flowers are at the top of smooth, leafless stems.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I always think that flowers that grow from tubers or bulbs shouldn't be fed. Yes there are exceptions, but there are too many other good foods to feed at this time of year than to risk poisoning one’s tort.

From TheTortTable

Flowers from Daylilies are not toxic and are fine as a treat. If leaves are nibbled occasionally there should be no problem, but do not feed large amounts as reports say that eating leaves of the Daylily in large quantities can cause hallucinations.

On no account should you allow your tortoise to eat the tuberous or fibrous roots of this plant.

N.B. ALL other Lilies are TOXIC so you must make a correct identification before feeding to your tortoise.

Day Lilies are not actually true lilies and are members of a different botanical family.

One way to differentiate the Daylily from other Lilies is that leaves of Daylilies are long and slender, with a central rib on the underside, and the flowers are at the top of smooth, leafless stems.

Thanks. I did see this on the tortoise table before posting my pic. I just wanted to make sure. I had put one flower each out for my torts to try, but then took them away. I'll just not feed them to be on the safe side.
Thanks.