Are there anybody raised indian star from little baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

relaxkuma123

5 Year Member
If someone raised the indian star from 1.5" baby till become adult.
Please share how you are raising them.
My 2 babies (1.5") died.
Now remained only 1 baby. And I would like to raise him till adult.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
make sure you seperate the last remaining one from all the others.. although it may be too late.
But it will give him the best chance. They need different care, and carry different germs. What doesnt hurt one, may Kill another.
I hope you find the help you need...
sorry for your losses.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I only have one that I've raised from baby to adult. I received the baby about a week after hatching. My set up was half peat moss, half timothy hay. Fed the tortoise fresh grass and greens about 2 -3 times a week. The humidity was kept in the teens or whatever was normal here in the desert. I soaked him about every other day, at least three times a week. Never had any issues at all.

Can you share with us how you are keeping them? We could give you some pointers and maybe help you identify why the other one died.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What are your temperatures like? Do you have a UVB bulb when they are inside or are you providing D3 supplement?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Well, here are my suggestions.

- There may be some debate about how much UVB exposure they will need. I personally think 3 times a week in the sun may not be enough, especially if you are not giving them any D3 supplementation. I won't recomend a specific amount, but I will say the more sun exposure you can give them the better. Do you have a patio, or a window without a screen you can place them by? Natural sunlight will work wonders for baby tortoises.

- From my experience, indian stars have issues when exposed to high humidity. I think with you being in Thailand, you don't have to spray down their enclosures or even provide a humid hide for them at all. Just be sure to soak them at least once a day.

- Along with the others, I would recomend housing the different species seperatley.

Those are just my opinions, take it or leave it.
You said you feed them lettuce twice a day, do you offer any other types of food?

Status
Not open for further replies.