Are screen doors okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
Hi folks,
The warm summer weather is here in Massachusetts and I'm trying to improve my Russian tortoise's outdoor enclosure. As there have been several warnings locally about large birds of prey, I wanted to make sure it was covered. I just have a few questions about using screen doors as a "roof".... will it let it enough sunlight/UV rays for him? Will it affect the temperature and make it too hot? I'm using two 36 inch doors side by side, and there are a few inches not covered, but they are right up against the house. The bay window overhangs there anyway, so it's pretty protected. He has 2 plastic hides, a water dish (clay dish that usually goes under a potted plant), a large tile that I used to put food on for him before the seed mix sprouted. I use the grazing tort seed mix from Carolina Pet Supply. The area is sunny in the morning and early afternoon, but I took the pictures in the late afternoon, so it looks very shaded. What do you think?! Thanks for you help!

Sonja & Pablo :tort:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 98
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 97

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Should be fine, but use your thermometer and temp gun to check temps. We really have no idea.

Realize that while your screen might deter birds of prey, crows and ravens will find the opening, and any other predators will rip right through it.

You also need some sort of over head shade for when its in full sun. Those hides, or anything laid on top of the screen, will get much too hot in the sun in summer. You can use an umbrella, some potted plants or move it partially under a tree.

tofuqueen

10 Year Member!
Great suggestions Tom, thanks! I have a temp gun, so I'll keep an eye on it.

zman7590

5 Year Member
Temp guns are cheap. 20 to 30 bux

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

WillTort2

5 Year Member
One other concern is the Russian's ability to dig. I don't see anything to prevent digging out.

For your cover I would go with the 2 panel concept that you have; but change the screen to 1/2" hardware cloth. It's much stronger and allows more sunlight to pass through.

Based on your enclosure size a 36" wide roll screwed to a 2" x 8" wood frame might work. This should be enough to fill your space and give some shady spots for your tort. Put the 2" x 8" across the length then use hinges to attach your doors with the hardware cloth in place of the screen. You may need 2 of the 2 x 8's so you can hinge both doors.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hardware cloth is better.. stronger, wider holes, better ventilation.. I think the screen would block too much..

jojap

5 Year Member
I always say the 1/2" hardware cloth also and then if you wanted to top that partly with the screen to create a cooler climate that would be good also.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Or remove the screen from one of them and swap it out for 1/2 inch hardware cloth. That way you let UV into that area, yet still have a nice shady area as well.

jojap

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Or remove the screen from one of them and swap it out for 1/2 inch hardware cloth. That way you let UV into that area, yet still have a nice shady area as well.

Be careful if you do that, screen door screen is very fragile. If a squirrel jumped on it, for example. It would probably cave right in.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good point. I have lids out of 1x2's. Now that the hardware cloth is attached, the lid is very strong. I laid the frame on a concrete floor to attach. Laurie used wood screws with large washers to attach the hardware cloth which is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.