are petco's russian tortoises are adult or juvenile

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Petco russians are WC adults for the most part.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
All tortoises Petco sells are WC and are all at least 4". 5" is an adult male and 6" is an adult female. They will all most likely be around that 4" mark, but there may be a few 5-6" russians available at your Petco.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
They are young adults, that will probably get somewhat larger, but not always. They are usually about 6-8 years old.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Please check your local Craigslist for a Russian tortoise that someone is selling do to a lack of interest or other, to them, justifiable reason to get rid of it. My local area, (50 miles of Salem, Oregon) recently had 6 in a three day period that if I had the funds would be here.
Buying from Petco, perpetuates them in purchasing wild caught animals. My 2¢.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Didnt you just get your super cheap juvenile female Russian from your buddy just about a month ago... what is the rush??? You haven't even had this one long enough to know her personality or get her through a full quarantine or allowed her time to adapt to a new environment. The additional stress of another tort could be very detrimental to them both. You will have to quarantine any new tort for a significant period of time. Are you prepared to do that. Russians are notorious for not getting along with one another, especially when housed together indoors. Are you prepared to house them separately.. permanently?
Recently there was also a conversation about the wisdom of purchasing from a pet store. I advised against doing so and highly recommended keeping watch in your local craigslist. You said you were willing to pay up to 100.00 if necessary when i suggested that you may have difficulty finding another at the price you paid for the one you already have. Because that price is not at all representative of the average price paid for a female Russian tort.

Perhaps i have the wrong person...
To answer your current question i would have to agree with Elliot and cowboy Ken. Petco Russians are wc torts. The average age is only determined by their size in inches. Most of theirs are very young adults or juveniles. Purchasing a wc tort from any pet store is detrimental to the wild members of the species. Finding one on craigslist is giving a home to a tort that needs one.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
kanalomele said:
Didnt you just get your super cheap juvenile female Russian from your buddy just about a month ago... what is the rush??? You haven't even had this one long enough to know her personality or get her through a full quarantine or allowed her time to adapt to a new environment. The additional stress of another tort could be very detrimental to them both. You will have to quarantine any new tort for a significant period of time. Are you prepared to do that. Russians are notorious for not getting along with one another, especially when housed together indoors. Are you prepared to house them separately.. permanently?
Recently there was also a conversation about the wisdom of purchasing from a pet store. I advised against doing so and highly recommended keeping watch in your local craigslist. You said you were willing to pay up to 100.00 if necessary when i suggested that you may have difficulty finding another at the price you paid for the one you already have. Because that price is not at all representative of the average price paid for a female Russian tort.

Perhaps i have the wrong person...
To answer your current question i would have to agree with Elliot and cowboy Ken. Petco Russians are wc torts. The average age is only determined by their size in inches. Most of theirs are very young adults or juveniles. Purchasing a wc tort from any pet store is detrimental to the wild members of the species. Finding one on craigslist is giving a home to a tort that needs one.
thanks! and i will not buy another one after my tort grows and i'm just planning to buy one, its not my final decision yet. and yeah im searching in CL recently but there's no russian tort their yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.