Are my tortoises shells healthy?

chrltt104

Hi, my names charlotte and I have two tortoises, nearly a year old.. Shelly and Jeff. I have attached photos of them and would like to know if there shells look healthy and if not what I should do :)

Attachments

• 1420287688394.jpg
    1420287688394.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 49
  • 1420287698437.jpg
    1420287698437.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 48

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I don't know much about Russian tower but they look okay to me.

Welcome to TFO.

Please list how you care for them, temperature/humidity, what you feed, and the lights you use.

With these answers we'll be better able to tell you what to make better for them.

What part of the world are you in?

Do you house them together? Do you know there sex? How much space do they have?

chrltt104

The temperature in their box is always 20-30 never gets lower than that. I feed them different kinds of leaves, salad leaves (rocket salad) and like to try them with different things, but would like to know where I can buy proper food for them. They're not old enough to eat their pallets yet but they do like the salad leaves and eat all the time when I give them food, that are always active and have loads of room to walk about there box is massive for them :) they're housed together and I don't know the sex as they're only a year old. Still babies. Also they have a bath every 2 days

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
You can try feeding them kale, collards, romaine lettuce, and escarole. They all should be available in the local grocery store. If it's too cold over there for any type of weeds yet, like it is where I live, then salad (I recommend the spring mix) is fine.
If they're housed together I would watch carefully for any kind of aggression or bullying. Russians are very territorial animals.
Other than that, cute torts :) they look healthy to me

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Charlotte, and welcome to the Forum!

Your little Russian babies look great. If you'd like to read a good care sheet so you can double check how you care for them, and see what to feed them, we have a good care sheet pinned at the top of our Russian section here on the forum!

abbiesparrow

Hi Charlotte! I had a baby Russian tortoise for Christmas and your torts shell looks perfect! Try giving her some raw broccoli too my tortoise loves that and also raw carrots. Also sprinkle calcium onto the food which will help the shell to grow and make sure she has plenty of heat and light - this will stop the shell developing any deformed areas.

I hope that helps.

chrltt104

Thank you really appreciate your messages they seem fairly happy and get on really well, had them 9 months now and they sleep together, eat together and everything and are also becoming quite tame I was just unsure of things to feed them, thanks again