Are my temperatures and humidity levels good ?

fergusaur

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
I’ve read on this forum and other places that pouring a cup of water can help with humidity in the enclosure. I use a zoo med tortoise house (not the best I know) which has on open top with railing. After pouring the cup in my substrate and mixing it together, my humidity is now in the high 80’s and my overall temperature for my enclosure is high 70’s to low 80’s after pouring. My basking area cooled down a bit as well, but after moving my Mercury vapor bulb heating lamp (I know MVB aren’t recommend, I’m getting uvb strip lights very soon) the basking area is slowly getting back to its average temperature. The current temp of the basking area is 89 degrees with a humidity of 85%. Are my temperatures and humidity fine, and I’m just stressing because I’m a beginner to owning a tortoise, or should is my humidity too high?

Attachments

• 7BDBF53F-2DF0-44AF-B6B0-2025868AEF0E.jpeg
    7BDBF53F-2DF0-44AF-B6B0-2025868AEF0E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

fergusaur

Delaware
He’s yawned twice and I hear that’s a sign of a respiratory infection, but he’s only yawned since I poured he water in his substrate which was about 30 minutes ago.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

First off, what kind of tortoise do you have? It’s close to impossible to maintain proper humidity levels with a fully opened top like you have.

Lots of tortoises “yawn”. It really doesn't indicate the presence of a respiratory infection. Search on “tortoise and yawn” and you will find lots of threads & pix & videos. Pretty common really.

fergusaur

Delaware
Greetings.

First off, what kind of tortoise do you have? It’s close to impossible to maintain proper humidity levels with a fully opened top like you have.

Lots of tortoises “yawn”. It really doesn't indicate the presence of a respiratory infection. Search on “tortoise and yawn” and you will find lots of threads & pix & videos. Pretty common really.

fergusaur

Delaware
I have a 2 month old Herman’s tortoise The yawning is terrifying me because he hasn’t done that in the past 4 days I’ve had him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We do need to know the kind of tort and how old? Hatchlings need a higher humidity then some adults.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Things have just changed. Give him time to figure out what you did. Tortoises hate change.
You will do best to get a saw horse type frame over the enclosure and hang plastic over it to cover the enclosure. The temps and humidity will never stay accurate with open top.
I think you may have already been told about covering it. So sorry if you have. I know you haven't had time yet to make the changes. But try to get too them asap.

fergusaur

Delaware
Greetings.

2 month old Herman’s tortoise