Are my claws too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukat

5 Year Member
I got a Russian Tortoise just over a week ago and I've been taking pictures and sharing them on various facebook groups (including this one!) but I have been advised by a couple of people that the claws are too big and need trimming so I would like the opinion of someone on this great group who is more experienced. I have read that the Russian's claws are normally quite big so I don't know what to do. I have enclosed a couple of pictures for people to look at.
tn_zps14d517b8.jpg
[/URL][/img]

princess.tort

5 Year Member
I have a Russian too and she has long nails! I've heard your not meant to trim them as they are nerves or something like that? I think they are supposed to keep trim by walking on the substrate

dukat

5 Year Member
They have a nerve running down the centre of the nail. If you hold it up to the light you can see it. I was told to get a piece of slate or similar for it eating off and I have done that. I was just curious for an opinion of a more experienced owner because it can get around perfectly fine and seems really happy to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, they are a bit on the long side. Does the tortoise ever get outside? Walking around on the hard ground is what keeps toenails in shape. You can trim them just like to trim dog's nails. Do it in bright light so you can see the blood that runs partway down into the nail. Don't trim short enough to reach the blood line.

dukat

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Yes, they are a bit on the long side. Does the tortoise ever get outside? Walking around on the hard ground is what keeps toenails in shape. You can trim them just like to trim dog's nails. Do it in bright light so you can see the blood that runs partway down into the nail. Don't trim short enough to reach the blood line.

I have only had the tortoise for just over a week now and since I'm from Scotland there isn't a lot of opportunities to get outside due to the climate and the weather is on the change right now and will get colder quite quickly now so that's not really an option I don't think. I was advised to get a piece of slate for it eating off which I was told should help with the length of the claws which I have done. I think that I will have a go at trimming its nails a bit and I did know not to cut too far and to look for the vein. Thanks for the opinions.

princess.tort

5 Year Member
I know what you mean, I live in Yorkshire!

A lot of the people here live in the USA and can put their torts outside all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.