Are leopards shy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flametorch

5 Year Member
I've noticed topics where people have troubles with their shy torts. My Kevlar is pretty fearless, but I just wanted know if anyone has a tortoise that barely hides his head. I find it interesting how many perspectives can be mentioned on one topic, especially considering the tortoise's personalities :p

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi there Flametorch,
I have 3 RF's and a leopard. Since the last RF is only new to me for a few days I don't know his personality and he's pretty small 3" But my other 2 are the most curious. Jack ,who I have had for 7 yrs is a trip.. They are all outside now and as soon as he hears me, or really any activity he is poking his haed into anything.. I have a half plastic dog house upside down and it is so funny to see his head just watching.. The female Petey, is very curious as soon as you actually go inside the pen. She will follow my feet, which are usuall painted bright colors, so it is sure to be food motivated. They are really fun. The Leopard, Pinkly is a bit more complicated.. I have had her for almost 2 years and she is just now coming out of her shell so to speak. She, at first, would never have her head out when any one was near and also hiss alot.. Now she is not so quick to pull it back in when I enter the pen. She will let me fill her dish, and not close up tight. I guess she is learning to trust us to some extent.. But I don't think she will ever be like the Rf's. but that's OK that's her..
What make is Kevlar?
Na

treshell

5 Year Member
leopard is pretty young and hides. The Redfoot is mom's (she is 83). He has 3 habitats. His large house pen (green house), Pen by where mom sets, outside (18 acres of high desert fenced). Green house he thinks of new ways to hide from mom, plastic tub by where she sits, he buries his self all but his head. That he keeps out so he can follow her hand for treats, and make the grab for her red nails. Out side he keeps just in front of her walker. When they take a break I defy anyone to say tortoise don't love. If you watch him with banana being swished out both sides of his mouth and big eyes looking up into mom's eyes?? Well it sometimes brings tears to my eyes.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Leoaprds tend to be a little more shy then most tortoises. But my two young ones were not to shy... i guess it depends.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I think people associate shyness with Leopards because they tend to take more time to develop a relationship or trust with people than other breeds. Mine were fairly reclusive for a while, but now they come stand by me when I come to their pen. They are always watching and very curious. I could see where people could think they are shy, but once the trust is there, they are a very outgoing and friendly breed.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Treshell,
I can see my son writing about me like you wrote about your MOM. (I am nowhere near 83) but my RF is only 14. It is cool the way they look at you when they know you have that wonderful banana!!!And yes red toenails sure do look like strawberrys!!
Na

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
One of my Leo's is shy (Doub's), and, the other (Troub's) is very outgoing. Troub's will come running when he hears or sees me. He likes to have his chin and legs rubbed. Doub's will usually hide in his shell if I try to handle him.

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi i keep and breed leopard tortoises i have found that the captive bred ones are far more outgoing and friendly.the youngsters do get handled a lot as they grow, what with daily bathing and trips in and out to the garden they are fearless where people are concerned .i have some cb adults that i raised from hatchlings these are curious and will follow me about if i am in their enclosure and trying to clean out the shed without locking them outside is impossible one in particular Blue seems to want to help me whatever im doing.
terry

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Our 3 year old Luka is very outgoing.
Although when it's bedtime or feeding time don't pester her.
She's very set in her ways and closes up tight if
we disturb her during these times.
Any other time she's trucking around or basking in the sun with her
little back legs splayed. She loves the top of her head scratched
and occasionally under her chin.

Rosy our redfoot, is a different character altogether. We've only had her for
5 months and she loves to hear us talking to her
and even comes when I call her. She's never tucked in her shell,
and just seems to be so confident.
I love these guys, they're so relaxing to own, or should I
say to be owned by them.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My experience with Tank, Bump and now Moose is that they are cautious, but very curious. Tank follows me and around and comes out of his shed to inspect whatever I'm doing. Last year when I insulated his shed, he was in the middle of things inspecting my work. Tank is not a fan of head rubbing, but loves "butt" rubs. Bump is more independent and a cruiser. He will check things out after I'm done. Yet when I pick him up or sit next to him, he loves for me to rub his head and legs. Moose is so young still but already he is outgoing, likes his head and legs rubbed and motates like he's late for work or something. I don't think Leopards are shy necessarily; I think they are cautious, but too curious to help themselves. Whatever they are they are my absolute favorite:)

A

algernonalton

Although I do not have one but one of my friend own one. They are defensive and head into their shell for protection. This often results in a hissing sound.

Melicia

5 Year Member
South africa
I have a hatchling leopard, it's been with me for about 3 weeks. It is shy, but seems to be getting used to me. If I don't make sudden movements, it is fine, it stay's out. If I move too fast it retracts

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
would you say leopards or sulcattas have more personality?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, definitely sulcatas. But I think it goes on a case-by-case basis. You'll find outgoing personalities in each specie.

Status
Not open for further replies.