Are hay stems dangerous for small sulcata's?

tijnvdheuvel

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hey there, so due to the winter months and snow covering my grass... I bought some hay from the pet store for my little guy.
Unfortunately there are some kerns and stems mixed in with the bag. I'm worried my little guy will get sick or worse from eating the hard stems whole.
Is it safe or should I remove them imediately?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey there, so due to the winter months and snow covering my grass... I bought some hay from the pet store for my little guy.
Unfortunately there are some kerns and stems mixed in with the bag. I'm worried my little guy will get sick or worse from eating the hard stems whole.
Is it safe or should I remove them imediately?
What size sulcata? What kind of hay?

I don't think the stems are "dangerous", but I do think smaller tortoises will not want to eat stemmy hay.

I use orchard grass hay, or Bermuda hay. I chop it up with scissors and then soak it for an hour or more. Then I mix the soaked hay in with the day's greens. At first I only use a tiny amount. When they get used to it and start eating it, I'll begin gradually adding in more and more over time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For little ones hay should be cut into little pieces and soaked. Timothy hay is the worse one to use. It's much more woody then the others.
Use orchard hay and still cut it and soak it for little ones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
(I remove the kerns due to their high protein ratio)
You do not need to worry about plant protein. That is old incorrect thinking. Tortoises, all species, need some protein in the diet. Foods like clover, alfalfa, beans or bean sprouts, peas or green beans are all fine as part of a varied diet. The diet should not be all protein based all the time, but its good to mix in some plant based protein, some of the time.

Hydration is key here. Protein is only a problem when they are dehydrated, as it can cause the formation of bladder stones. Soak your tortoise regularly and it can get the nutrition it needs

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
You do not need to worry about plant protein. That is old incorrect thinking. Tortoises, all species, need some protein in the diet. Foods like clover, alfalfa, beans or bean sprouts, peas or green beans are all fine as part of a varied diet. The diet should not be all protein based all the time, but its good to mix in some plant based protein, some of the time.

Hydration is key here. Protein is only a problem when they are dehydrated, as it can cause the formation of bladder stones. Soak your tortoise regularly and it can get the nutrition it needs
How much and how often do you recommend plant-based protein? I get asked this question a lot from folks. Most argue they should have zero protein, but that's a whole other debate. lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much and how often do you recommend plant-based protein? I get asked this question a lot from folks. Most argue they should have zero protein, but that's a whole other debate. lol
Once or twice a week is good. 3-4 times a week in small amounts mixed in with other greens is fine too. Just make sure the tortoise is well hydrated.

nootnootbu

USA

When it comes to beans, do you mean cooked beans, or raw fresh beans, like green beans?
I know you for sure don't mean dried beans in the dry state.
Would canned beans be okay if they are canned in water only?

My sulcatas already get some clover, but adding beans every once in a while could give them more variety.
Are different beans better than others too?
I ask because we have access to so many different beans.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When it comes to beans, do you mean cooked beans, or raw fresh beans, like green beans?
I know you for sure don't mean dried beans in the dry state.
Would canned beans be okay if they are canned in water only?

My sulcatas already get some clover, but adding beans every once in a while could give them more variety.
Are different beans better than others too?
I ask because we have access to so many different beans.
I've used raw fresh green beans, and I've grown my own peas too. Never used anything cooked or canned. This should only be a very small percentage of the over all diet. Less than 5%.