Are greens really necessary?

GreenFire719

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
Hi guys, a bit of a controversy I’m about to ask, but a greens like collards really necessary in a box turtle’s diet? I know in the wild they get a naturally diverse diet with being scavengers who eat anything that smells edible, but in captivity if they are getting a diverse enough diet do greens have to be offered?

The reason why I ask is cause I never have a problem feeding my box turtle fruits, veggies, mushrooms, different buggies, but whenever it comes down to greens, she refuses everything and it has to be chopped into tiny pieces and mixed into a mush with her other food. I just don’t know if they would naturally eat greens like that, which could be why she turns her nose up at them. I know in captivity giving greens with other veggies let’s them get all the nutrients they need, but if enough variety is provided can greens be skipped altogether? Let me know your thoughts!

jaizei

Unknown Member
5 Year Member
Earth
If you're providing all the nutrition thru other means, then nothing is necessary.

What kind of greens have you tried? Collards, mustard, kale can be kinda "spicy"; have you tried some of the milder "salad greens".

GreenFire719

North Carolina, USA
If you're providing all the nutrition thru other means, then nothing is necessary.

What kind of greens have you tried? Collards, mustard, kale can be kinda "spicy"; have you tried some of the milder "salad greens".
We have done collards, mustard, kale, turnip, dandelion, escarole, endive, green and red leaf, even romaine. She just hates them lol. I give them to her anyways by chopping into tiny pieces (smaller than bite size otherwise she spits it out) and mush berries and veggies with it into turtle slop. She’ll eat them no problem that way cause she can’t pick them out but will not eat it whole.