Are Female Tortoises Territorial?

JaymeR

So I have always heard that the male tortoises are territorial but I am seeing some strange things happening with my female. We have 3 dessert tortoises, one large female prob late 20s and 2 young ones... 7 and 9 years old but unsure of their sex yet. Anyways, I have found one of the little ones upside down a few times and just thought it walked off the playhouse or something random.

Over the last week, I have witnessed our large one go near both little ones raise her but, put her head in her shell and ram into the little ones to try and flip them. Now I now its probably been her flipping the little one. She is the nicest, most friendly tortoise I have ever known and to see her like this is making me sad. I just don't know why she's acting this way towards the little ones. I have seen her many times sleeping with one or the other in their shaded areas so when I saw this I just couldn't believe it. Does anyone know what is going on? I don't want to have to separate or get rid of one, I just don't know what to do.

I am desperate for some help/advice. :(

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Females are territorial as well. I have no experience with DT's, but sounds like someone is going to get hurt, if you don't separate them. Good luck.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
As I know they all territorial. This behavior shows from the very young stage, no matter male or female.

JaymeR

The female came from someone with a lot of tortoises so it wasn't territorial there? Its been with us for 9 years though and we had the little ones in a cage most of the time until last year when we thought they were big enough to roam freely. This is just so new, she never had an issue before. Ugh so frustrating. :(

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's possible she was being bullied in her last home,
Now the boots on the other foot.
Sorry, but they'll need separating before someone gets hurt.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
She was probably bullied there now she is the alpha and she wants the others OUT. All tortoises are territorial. Females less but still are. You should separate it won't stop and could result in injury or death.

JaymeR

She was at my moms and she gave her to my daughter because she was so friendly... my mom never saw anything rough with her tortoises. The little ones have been around the big one for a couple years, just full this whole last year. Two even hibernated together. This is all just recent which is why it seems so weird. Thanks for all your concerns.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have a male and two females sharing the yard. The male is territorial in certain areas like the patio. He will come see people or items placed on the patio. He rammed a bucket off the patio last week. My two females are territorial in the sense they each have preferred sections of the yard they sleep in, and are opposite corners. They eat together, walk around each other and even sleep in the other areas occasionaly, but they have never fought or rammd each other. Definitely no aggressive bahavior noticed. The male makes no aggressive behaviors towards either female, except when he is "in the mood" and then I just feel sorry for the poor girls.

JaymeR

I have a male and two females sharing the yard. The male is territorial in certain areas like the patio. He will come see people or items placed on the patio. He rammed a bucket off the patio last week. My two females are territorial in the sense they each have preferred sections of the yard they sleep in, and are opposite corners. They eat together, walk around each other and even sleep in the other areas occasionaly, but they have never fought or rammd each other. Definitely no aggressive bahavior noticed. The male makes no aggressive behaviors towards either female, except when he is "in the mood" and then I just feel sorry for the poor girls.
Thanks so much for your reply... we are in the process of redoing our backyard so they have been finding and sharing holes and nooks for shade so maybe that is causing some issues. I am just going to keep an eye on them and hopefully when we get a new area for them with enough space for each one to have shane on their own it will be better. Its just weird to have the big one aggressive towards the little ones when she used to sleep near them and eat with them. idk LOL

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
perhaps she is jealous of their young appearance. :D

I would bet that once they get into a larger area/yard that the aggression drops. More territory = happy torts.