Arcadia 12% UVB bulbs with what fixture?

ben awes

5 Year Member
Hey all, I purchased two Arcadia 12% UVB High Output T5 bulbs and a Hydrofarm Envirogrow 4 foot, 4 bulb High Output fixture. The idea is to use the two Arcadia bulbs with two 6500K grow lights. This set up was recommended to me but the fixture will not run this setup. I don't know if the Arcadia need Very High Output fixtures, or you can't run different bulbs in one fixture, or what. The person who recommended it to me does run different bulbs in these this fixture so I don't know what's going on.

I bought the Hydrofarm fixture from Greentrees and they are now claiming that their fixtures are designed to run plant lights not reptile lights (not sure how the fixture knows what bulbs are in it!). I am waiting for a response from Hydrofarm. I have not contacted Arcadia, but because they sell their own brand of fixture (Tropic Blaze) I suspect they will tell me to buy theirs.

Any thoughts or suggestions you can provide would be appreciated (and I did try all kinds of bulb configurations - the fixture fires 4 6500K grow bulbs that come with it, will fire 1 arcadia, and 1 6500K grow on one side only at a time. Will not fire 2 arcadia bulbs on one side, or separated). I can return it, but would rather understand the problem before I do.

Thanks
Ben

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Once you get it all figured out, I'm interested in knowing how those bulbs are working for you. Please keep us in the loop.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Ben, I think you need to get two ballasts - wire one to run the arcadia, and one to run the other bulbs. I'm not sure if you can run everything from one ballast.

Yvonne, I have been running one of the 12% Arcadia bulbs for about 9 months now. It is over my spider tortoises. From a practical standpoint I love it. I have had frequent problems with mercury vapor's and the Arcadia lights a much larger enclosure area.

I don't have a UVB meter (on my Christmas list) so can't verify the exact UV output and longevity.

Steve

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been a strong hold-out, touting the MVB's ever since I discovered them, however, my tortoise partner is bringing me some tube-type MVB's in a couple of weeks to try. I've been putting it off because I have plenty (I mean lots and lots) of incandescent reflectors and zero fluorescent balasts. So, we'll see. I, too, have a UVB meter on my wish list.

ben awes

5 Year Member
turtlesteve said:
Ben, I think you need to get two ballasts - wire one to run the arcadia, and one to run the other bulbs. I'm not sure if you can run everything from one ballast.

Yvonne, I have been running one of the 12% Arcadia bulbs for about 9 months now. It is over my spider tortoises. From a practical standpoint I love it. I have had frequent problems with mercury vapor's and the Arcadia lights a much larger enclosure area.

I don't have a UVB meter (on my Christmas list) so can't verify the exact UV output and longevity.

Steve

Thanks Steve, but I think the fixture already is a two ballast fixture - unless I'm wrong, and someone else on this forum said he does run the setup I was trying. I don't know what the issue is. It's not like the bulbs are dramatically different. Both HO T5's, both 54W, one 6500K, one 7000K.

I can imagine that your solution would work, I just don't want to have to get two fixtures!

Yvonne G said:
I've been a strong hold-out, touting the MVB's ever since I discovered them, however, my tortoise partner is bringing me some tube-type MVB's in a couple of weeks to try. I've been putting it off because I have plenty (I mean lots and lots) of incandescent reflectors and zero fluorescent balasts. So, we'll see. I, too, have a UVB meter on my wish list.

I've been a strong hold out at well, but I am real tired of MVB failures. These Arcadia seem promising, but they and the fixtures are a jump up in cost for fluorescent bulbs. The UVB from 14" (which is about top of shell) is upwards of 240.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
If the fixture is already set up for HO T5's, I don't know why it isn't working. I bought the fixture that lightyourreptiles sells, but there is no information on the fixture to indicate the ballast specifications.

I didn't find cost of the Arcadia setup to be that big an issue. With that big of a fixture, surely this will replace two or more MVB bulbs, right? I went with a single 34" bulb at 12% UV (listed at $84 with fixture) and a separate CHE, in place of a powersun 160W that I would typically use. To my eyes, both setups give a similar amount of visible light, but the Arcadia spreads it out more. I can't yet confirm that the UV output is equivalent, but seems like folks on the bearded dragon forums find that this type of setup is sufficient.

With the Arcadia 34" + CHE, setup is $84 (+$50 for a CHE and fixture), then $37 every 6-9 months.

With a powersun 160W, setup is $60, then $45 every 6-9 months (if the bulb lasts that long)

My main reason for wanting the solarmeter, is to determine which setup gives more UV, and maintains output longest. I think the time to replace a bulb will be the main cost driver.

Steve

mikeh

5 Year Member
Ben,
The fixture should run any combination of any kind of tubes that are labeled as T5 HO 54W 60Hz.
Temperature of the bulbs does not matter, neither does the type of bulb weather its reptile UVB or grow light.

Below is a photo of New Wave T5 HO 48" quad fixture by Sun Systems. As you can see it runs multiple combination of T5 HO 54W tubes. In this case combination of Arcadia 3D+ 12%, Zoomed 5%, and two 5400K grow lights. Any combinations I have tried work.

This fixture runs a single ballast, bulbs are connected in series of two loops to the ballast, if one bulb goes out it only effects one loop, two bulbs remain on.

1386013733459.jpg

Some troubleshooting ideas:
1) Test each of the Arcadia bulbs on a loop that works to establish both bulbs are good.
2)Make sure the connectors contacts on the fixture and the bulb are properly connected and are physically touching. (Some fixtures have the connectors spaced for specific brand tubes and may be just slightly wider then different brand tubes. Some tubes are slightly shorter then others. Compare the tubes that came with the fixture and Arcadia for length and width spacing of connectors)

*If one there is a one bad connection on a loop it will effect both bulbs on that loop.

Let us know what the manufacturer input is and what the issue is.

Last edited by a moderator:

ben awes

5 Year Member
mikeh said:
Ben,
The fixture should run any combination of any kind of tubes that are labeled as T5 HO 54W 60Hz.
Temperature of the bulbs does not matter, neither does the type of bulb weather its reptile UVB or grow light.

Below is a photo of New Wave T5 HO 48" quad fixture by Sun Systems. As you can see it runs multiple combination of T5 HO 54W tubes. In this case combination of Arcadia 3D+ 12%, Zoomed 5%, and two 5400K grow lights. Any combinations I have tried work.

This fixture runs a single ballast, bulbs are connected in series of two loops to the ballast, if one bulb goes out it only effects one loop, two bulbs remain on.

Some troubleshooting ideas:
1) Test each of the Arcadia bulbs on a loop that works to establish both bulbs are good.
2)Make sure the connectors contacts on the fixture and the bulb are properly connected and are physically touching. (Some fixtures have the connectors spaced for specific brand tubes and may be just slightly wider then different brand tubes. Some tubes are slightly shorter then others. Compare the tubes that came with the fixture and Arcadia for length and width spacing of connectors)

*If one there is a one bad connection on a loop it will effect both bulbs on that loop.

Let us know what the manufacturer input is and what the issue is.

Mike, you called it. I realized that through all my tests using different combinations of bulbs I did not realize that one of the Arcadia was never working. I think the fixture is fine. Won't know till i replace the bulb, but I think that is the problem.

I did hear back from both from the place i bought the fixture and from Hydrofarm and both basically said that they could not promise that the fixture would work with Arcadia, only with the bulbs they sold. They felt that the fixture should work, but if it did not then the bulbs were at fault. Well, they were right in a way - the bulb was the problem, it was a lemon!

Thats the update. At this point I am using 1 Arcadia with 3 bulbs that came with the fixture. All four light in that configuration and I love the amount of light. For once it does not seem like you're in the basement!

I can't wait to get another Arcadia.

thanks again,
Ben

mikeh

5 Year Member
Glad the troubleshooting worked out. I was starting to feel bad recommending a fixture I actually don't own.

Here are some tips on running the fixture and bulbs.

1)Every couple months take the bulbs out of the fixture and gently clean the reflectors of any accumulated fine dust. Reflectors in that fixture help increase significant amount of UVB.

2) If the fixture is on a timer, I would stay away from using digital timer unless you can confirm it is safe to use on this type of ballasted fixture. Some digital timers leak small amount of current when in the off setting, this may overtime fault out the ballast. Use mechanical, pin type timers.

3) Remeasure the UVB output after burn in period, 100-200 hours. The bulb looses 15-30% output during this period and it is normal. (After that it should level off).
Adjust the height as needed after this period.

Some of the tropical tortoises seem not to care for cool light the 6500K bulbs give off. Arid species dont seem to mind. I have mixed the UVB bulbs with bloom 3500k grow lights which creates a much softer light and seems to help.

You say your reading was 240microwats at 14" height? That is much higher then Arcadia chart shown below. Maybe because you are measuring it during burn in period? I would be curious on the reading after 200 hours.
Mike
1386190224970.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Could someone please tell me what source you are getting the Arcadia products from.
Thanks.

ben awes

5 Year Member
AnnV said:
Could someone please tell me what source you are getting the Arcadia products from.
Thanks.

Hi Ann, I imagine there are several sources, but I got my Arcadia bulbs from lightyourreptiles.com Todd is very helpful, but i just placed the order right through their website.

good luck,
Ben

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
The Arcadia bulbs are all the rage in the chameleon community right now. So far they are showing great UVB output compared to other linear bulbs like reptiglo and reptisun and lasting longer as well - usually around 12 months instead of 6-8. Some are reporting longer at 18 months with adequate UVB. No good comparison with MVB though since chameleon keepers don't use them much. But so far widespread positive feedback on the Arcadia lights.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
They are definitely the most favoured lights in the reptile community over here. Very good construction and last a long time. The owner John is also on many reptile forums. Way ahead of any MVBs around.

John Ramos

San Jose, CA
Thanks.

I bought this one, 24" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 6% and 6.5k Day-light Bulbs Included

At --> http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/t5highoutput.html

24" fixture

What you get is really up to what you have for a setup, mine is about 9-12" to tortoise top.

These have 2 bulbs, 1 daylight and you can get a 6% or 12% UVB bulb depending on the height, a deeper setup would probably take the 12% UVB bulb. The fixtures are really high quality, switch and heavy duty long cord. They came packed to death, I would think they would make a world tour without getting damaged. (Tektronix actually did this, packed instruments and sent them literally around the world to see which packing materials survived the trip.) Everything is High quality Chinese except for the Arcadia 6% bulb which says made in the EU.

One note on these is I put them on the tanks and both tortoises fled on day 1, day 2 they were like magnets, turn on the lights and they came alive! It's been the same ever since, they seem to love these lights.

Address for all the information you can handle is --> [email protected]
sellers name is Todd Goode

I hope I've included enough information as not to confuse anyone or too little. Got a question, don't hesitate to ask me. I have real life experience with at least the one I bought. I can't say enough about how my critters love'm!