Applying Terramycin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
When I first got Harper 9 months ago, he had trouble opening his eyes. Since he was a Petco buy, I just assumed that he was dehydrated and needed some TLC. And for a while, I was right. His eyes started opening fine after a while. But lately, I've noticed he's having trouble opening them again. The eyes themselves look perfectly healthy, nice and bright, and not sunken in. But sometimes it's like his eyelids are crusted together and sometimes he has to work to get them to open. Harper himself is a very hungry and happy tortoise, and Darwin, his pen mate, is just as hungry and exhibits no problems whatsoever.

At any rate, I went ahead and bought some Terramycin, just to knock out any potential infection or problem I'm not seeing. How often and for how long should I apply it?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
If the eyes are crusty, the animals need more humidity and hydration........Terramycin will do nothing to help with this - The only thing it will do is lubricate the eye, which is a band aid fix to a bigger problem.......If the eye was infected, you would know it - Crust or having problems opening the eye is a sign of dehydration......

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I knew someone would bring that up, but I just don't see how dehydration is possible. My husbandry is pretty spot on, with a heat gradient from 75-90 (90 is under directly under the heat lamp, so really like 75-85) degrees. A humid area that maintains about 80% humidity. Moisture rich food. Access to a shallow soaking pool of fresh water 24/7.

And perhaps crust is the wrong word. I've never actually seen any crust.

Status
Not open for further replies.