apples?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome,
Fruits are generally too high in sugar for torts digestive systems to manage.

This is an up to date caresheet which will help you with all aspects of care

If you post pics of your tort and his enclosure you'll get great advice to make sure he has the best home to keep him happy and healthy

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Can i give my russian tortoise apples
You can give a tortoise anything you want, but a steady diet with the sugar in fruit will cause a sick and unhealthy tortoise. If you want to offer a treat give him a couple slices, and not more and not daily or weekly. Their kidneys cannot process sugar the way we do. So too much fruit is bad, a little treat is ok

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Apples have a higher sugar content than a lot of fruit. It seems like an odd choice seeing as we're always being told to watch our torts sugar intake. I would go for a fruit which gives more bang for it's buck - high fiber and low sugar. Papaya is a favourite of mine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Apples have a higher sugar content than a lot of fruit. It seems like an odd choice seeing as we're always being told to watch our torts sugar intake. I would go for a fruit which gives more bang for it's buck - high fiber and low sugar. Papaya is a favourite of mine.
No, Russian tortoises should not be given fruit.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think I remember learning that apple seeds are toxic, so be very careful he doesn't get any of those.

The key word here is ‘high does’ ( but who knows how many that is... )

Apple seeds, however, contain a plant compound called amygdalin, which can have a toxic effect. ... It is harmless when a seed is intact, but when a seed is chewed or otherwise damaged, the amygdalin degrades into hydrogen cyanide. This is very poisonous and even lethal in high doses.

Some more info......

Most apple cores contain around 5 apple seeds. However, this amount will vary based on the health of the plant. You would need to finely chew and eat about 200 apple seeds, or about 40 apple cores, to receive a fatal dose.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You would need to finely chew and eat about 200 apple seeds, or about 40 apple cores, to receive a fatal dose.

Well, I guess I'm not going to succumb to apple seed poisoning then. But I still wouldn't chance it with a tortoise! If nothing else, he would get sick enough to scare a keeper nearly to death, and the keeper might never know what happened.

Nope...I don't need that kind of excitement! :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thanks for mentioning that.
Redfoot and Yellowfoot can process sugars. But if I feed apples (pretty rare) I core them.

I don't know where I picked up that bit of info. One of those tidbits that we snag along the way and stuff into the corner of our memories. Like don't mix ammonia and bleach.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Well, I guess I'm not going to succumb to apple seed poisoning then. But I still wouldn't chance it with a tortoise! If nothing else, he would get sick enough to scare a keeper nearly to death, and the keeper might never know what happened.

Nope...I don't need that kind of excitement! :)

Or, just core the apple. ?