Apple snail eggs! *photos and video of snail*

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
UPDATE: The eggs have now hatched! They didnt exactly come crawling out, my dad had left the lid off, so the lack of humidity caused them to break off the wall :( at first I was worried, but when I looked in the tank there are hundreds of tiny white dots swimming around (faster than I expected..) and I can vaguely see snail features.. I tried to take a picture, but they are probably half the size of the point on a pen... So I'll take whatever picture I can as soon as its possible! lol. right now I guess i'm just worried about the survival rate... Will the parent snails eat them? even if its by accident, it seems very possible...

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
I'm so jealous, I had apple snails for years and they would lay eggs all the time but they either dropped into the water and were eaten or dried out before they hatched :-( good job hatching them! :)

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
well theres been an update! lol, a second snail has laid ANOTHER batch of eggs! lol! it was the smallest snail of the three this time. I'm really not sure which is male or female.. I had three, but the biggest one passed the other day of old age, and since I dont know which of the two bigger ones laid the first batch of eggs, i'm not entirely positive if the one that assed was male, meaning I now have 2 females, or if it was a female who passed after laying her batch, whereas I now still have a male and a female. :-/ I just dont know... lol...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hmmm, swimming? I don't think what you are seeing is baby apple snails if they are swimming. Possibly could be insuforia. The baby apple snails have a shell when they hatch, and don't go through a free swimming stage like nerites or other snails.

If the egg mass fell in the tank, that means the babies drowned, unfortunately.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Well they all look like little white shelled snails if you REALLY look at them... They only swam around for a little, now they all stay on the rocks on the bottom... We'll see what they are when they grow up
I guess... They act like snails in my opinion, but the fast jetting around for the first day caught me offguard....

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Do you have other snails in the aquarium, like ramshorns or bladder/pond snails? They have a very short free swimming stage.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
bet you got a male now! maybe even 2 or 1000!;)

Question...? Are they like Jellybeans and each color taste differant? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.