Apple snail eggs! *photos and video of snail*

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
I have three apple snails I got out of the ditch at our park, ranging from a little bigger than a golf ball to tennisball size, and recently I found a huge strip of eggs above the water line!!! I HAD to share it!! lol!
016-2.jpg

017-3.jpg

015-2.jpg

032-2.png

^ that long tube is actually a lung; they can breathe underwater and above water thanks to that cool contraption! :p

018-1.jpg

And this is a little baby I found running around the tank, when i'm very sure it didnt come out of an egg because this batch is the first... It may have been trapped in the big guy's shell then snuck out after a while, haha! but i think it's just adorable :p
417.jpg

Also, when I first went out and found these guys, I also found a dragonfly larvae (which i had never seen in real life until that moment) so I wanted to share that as well in case yall had never seen one either!!
414.jpg

The weird looking photo is actually a video if you want to see my little snail/alien try and reach for the tank wall from the fake log :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Very cool red eggs that should be very interesting to watch and see what happens. Do those eggs need flowing water for oxogen, just wondering. Thanks for posting, they are very nice

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Always good to have dragonfly larvae around, they love to eat mosquito larvae.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I... dont think they need water flowing over them, but i'm actually not sure.. if they do the snail shouldn't have laid them above the water! it does stay humid in the tank, so mmaybe that helps, but I think they wont be in those eggs for very long... I wish I knew more on the subject really! lol!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
KimandKarasi said:
I... dont think they need water flowing over them, but i'm actually not sure.. if they do the snail shouldn't have laid them above the water! it does stay humid in the tank, so mmaybe that helps, but I think they wont be in those eggs for very long... I wish I knew more on the subject really! lol!

Well just wait and see, Im sure there is more eggs to come

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
bigred said:
KimandKarasi said:

Well just wait and see, Im sure there is more eggs to come

Seeing as there's 3, they all have the ability to switch from male to female freely, AND they already have the ball rolling? I sure hope there are more to come! lol! I'm going to try and release the ones I can back into the ditch I found their parents in when they get big enough. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't wait to see the eggs hatch, so don't forget pics. I have the dragonfly larvae in my pond every summer. They always creeped me out when I was cleaning the pond, until I finally looked them up to see what they were. Now I want them in my pond, I love dragonflies.:D

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Goooooood, snails are the worst! If the whole tank is dedicated to them, then cool, but if you actually have fish in there, watch out. The infestations can seriously lower your water quality. And it's almost impossible to keep on top of getting excess babies out of there.

I fought with some for absolutely months before I removed all of my fish, and borrowed a turtle from a friend to take care of the little buggers.

It's cool to watch them develop, for like, one clutch.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Apple snails are not hermaphrodites like many other snails. They actually are either male or female and stay that way; you have to have a pair to breed.

They lay their eggs above the water line, and when the babies hatch, they crawl down into the water. They won't "infest" a tank like ponds snails or ramshorns, because if you don't want babies, you can just scrape the eggs off the glass, freeze them, and then dispose of them.

I raised pomacea bridgesii for years. I had some beautiful colors.

Here is an adult laying her eggs.

Kristinaspictures025.jpg

The finished product. Different species have different colored eggs.

Kristinaspictures031.jpg

Blues, purples, pinks, magentas, jades, whites...

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE455.jpg

Blue, pink, and purple.

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE19175.jpg

Big white, I believe this one was male.

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE460.jpg

The interesting thing is that they have different colored feet, which makes for different colored shells. The dark purple and the magentas have the same color shells, but the magentas have light colored feet, which makes them lighter, and the dark purples have black feet, which makes them darker.

Eating a piece of "Snello" or snail jello (I can give you the recipe)

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1104.jpg

This one was always one of my favorites, he was SOOOO white and pretty.

KristinaspicturesDONOTDELETE1101.jpg

On another note - I would positively LOVE to have some of those babies when they hatch! ;)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
They seem to be "cana" snails. I have some, too. Very cool. The siphon feeds the lung and they do have individual sexes. It is cool that you got egg masses. If you do want to send any eggs or babies out and you care about this sort of thing, check the legality of that, as I think there is some kind of restriction involved (like not shipping across state lines of something like that) due to invasive status.

Akronic

5 Year Member
last time i had a snail out break in my tank i just added some clown loaches.....those guys love to eat snails

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Kristina said:
Apple snails are not hermaphrodites like many other snails. They actually are either male or female and stay that way; you have to have a pair to breed.

They lay their eggs above the water line, and when the babies hatch, they crawl down into the water. They won't "infest" a tank like ponds snails or ramshorns, because if you don't want babies, you can just scrape the eggs off the glass, freeze them, and then dispose of them.

I raised pomacea bridgesii for years. I had some beautiful colors.

Here is an adult laying her eggs.

The finished product. Different species have different colored eggs.

Blues, purples, pinks, magentas, jades, whites...

Blue, pink, and purple.

Big white, I believe this one was male.

The interesting thing is that they have different colored feet, which makes for different colored shells. The dark purple and the magentas have the same color shells, but the magentas have light colored feet, which makes them lighter, and the dark purples have black feet, which makes them darker.

Eating a piece of "Snello" or snail jello (I can give you the recipe)

This one was always one of my favorites, he was SOOOO white and pretty.

On another note - I would positively LOVE to have some of those babies when they hatch! ;)

Oh wow!!! Thank you for those pictures!!! I think they're beautiful! And I would love that snello recipe! (that's such an awesome name XD snello...) Also, to the post before yes, they do have a tank dedicated just to them, so water quality (though it sortof is an issue) isn't TOO much of an issue. :p if they have separate genders, how can you tell between male and female? Kristina, I would love to share my baby snail clutch with you! I'll pm you soon! :p

Akronic said:
last time i had a snail out break in my tank i just added some clown loaches.....those guys love to eat snails

Is THAT who was killing my smaller snails before I gave them their own tank??? o_O lol! I was buying multiple from Petsmart and Petco but no matter what they would always end up eaten... I thought it had to do with size, so I went out and caught some of my own that were all already huge. :D then decided to just give them their own tank.. I put one in with a jack Dempsey and an African banded cichlid and the shell ended up getting cracked somehow, so I thought it best to just give them their own tank (littlest guy still has his crack :p it heals though right?)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have always thought snails fascinating, bu after seeing those colors, wow! Now I want some. :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think that is cool, we keep the mystery snails and have gotten one set of eggs but they were not fertile :(

I would like that snello recipe also "please" :D ...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Well I did some checking, and unfortunately it would not be legal for me to receive any of these babies across state lines, so, bummer :(

However, looking at my old photos has re-inspired me to get back into raising Pomacea bridgesii. I'll get more into that in my own thread ;)

As far as the Snello goes, I'll post a thread to that as well, and link it here ;)

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Kristina said:
Well I did some checking, and unfortunately it would not be legal for me to receive any of these babies across state lines, so, bummer :(

However, looking at my old photos has re-inspired me to get back into raising Pomacea bridgesii. I'll get more into that in my own thread ;)

As far as the Snello goes, I'll post a thread to that as well, and link it here ;)

Depending where you live I could bring them to you personally, or is that still considered shipping? :( and thank you I'n advance for the snello recipe! It sounds awesome. :D

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I've taken a 14 hour trip non-stop around 856 miles, what's another 300 or so? Lol! But the fact that it's illegal means I can't even if I had the urge to leave state again, haha! :p thank you very much for the recipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.