Apollo's diet (5 month old Greek ibrea)

RONALD WALTERS

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
I rescued him 3 weeks ago from a bad place he is more active everyday now eating great (a little piglet in the making i think lol) substrate is 70% coco coir with some cypress mulch mixed in. Humidity levels are now around 65 to 75% god knows what conditions they were keeping him in. Temperature is between 97 to 100 mercury vapor bulb side and more cooler side approx 78, nighttime temps between 73 - 75 Just wondering of any other suggestions as to what else to add or subtract from his diet or otherwise??

Regular part of diet:
dandelion
mustard greens
Endive
Escarole
red kale
radichio
watercress
frisse
optunia cactus
Arugula
Grasses (although he has yet to eat any) no chemicals or anything on my lawn
Repti-cal on food daily
Reptomin multi vitamin powder every other day

occasionally:
carrot
Artichoke
Butternut Squash
Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food
Mazuri Tortoise Diet

Just planted
plantain, dandelion, red clover, chia, white clover, wheatgrass, dichondra, tortoise grazing seeds mix

Cuttlebone (2 in enclosure but i have yet to see him nibble on it)

Bathing once a day for 20 mins...would do it twice a day but i work afternoons and evenings
poops normal color and texture ...urates mixed between chalky and slimy

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

I don't have experience keeping greeks, so unfortunately can't comment on your housing etc.

I like that you are attempting to do more weeds, that would have been my main suggestion regarding diet. I think the seeds you just planted are a great start. If you're having trouble getting your tortoise to eat grass, maybe you want to try growing him some wheat grass or barley grass. -I don't think many tortoises can resist these. Maybe they'll inspire your beastie to eat more grass.