Apen Does Size Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I know there has been a lot of talk about using Aspen as a substrate lately. At my local store they have two different cuts. One is shredded small and one is much larger almost like flakes (? Looks like that in the bag, maybe chunks) the smaller shred is in a much smaller bag and like for a 10-20 gal aquarium size (I figure for maybe snakes). The larger is a huge bag which would cover my 4ftx5ft enclosure by about an inch or two (I forget how many cubic feet it is).
My Question- Does it matter what cut you use? (The size of the shred) I would like to use it for my adult Greeks (large area), as well as the hatchlings. I know Danny and others have said it isn’t a problem if they ingest some of it, but when I placed the DT yearlings in it (the small shred), they were eating it as if it were their dinner. So I changed it to a mix of dirt and sand and they wouldn't eat that.
So is one cut better than the other for my torts?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Bass equipment (www:bassequipment.com) has 30# bags for 15.95 in their guineapig supplies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Robyn the finely shredded aspen is what you want. Tortoises usually go after it when they are first put on aspen. I usually feed them if they are eating it. Any new and different substrate tortoises will sample it.
You should be able to get large bags of the shredded aspen from the Harlan company.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Now I understand. I took a look at the sites they were great. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.