Anyone with Mount Etna?

PA2019

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Any members raising T.h.h. Mount Etna locale? They have only been offered for the past several years, but I would love to hear from those that have been raising this unique, diminutive tortoise!

Humidity requirements, temperament, diet preferences and of course how big have they gotten? Don’t be shy! ?

Quixx66

Louisiana
Hi,

Just saw this. Mine was hatched on May 7, 2020. I got him as a hatchling that summer.

it’s been quite a year! He was about the size of a quarter/50 cent coin but he’s now about the size of my palm. I’m petite so I have small hands.

Keeping him was at first nerve-wracking, but the folks here helped so much. He used to flip over a lot, and it took him a while before he would start to eat. He’s ravenous now, the little piggie! Getting soil mix, lighting, heating and so on also took a bit of time, and is an on-going learning curve, but he seems healthy or at least has survived my efforts.

He’s pretty stubborn, and maybe not too bright, lol. But he’s really cute.

He’s not as friendly as I’d hoped. Sometimes he looks at me, but mostly he escapes to his house. I just heard that it’s because his enclosure is too bare. I was trying to leave room for walking but now I’ve bought more plants. I think he doesn’t like being bathed so he hides.

All-in-all, I’m glad I have him.

I don’t know if you have a Mt. Etna by now, but I’d love to hear about your experiences. Doesn’t seem to be many of us out there.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Hi,

Just saw this. Mine was hatched on May 7, 2020. I got him as a hatchling that summer.

it’s been quite a year! He was about the size of a quarter/50 cent coin but he’s now about the size of my palm. I’m petite so I have small hands.

Keeping him was at first nerve-wracking, but the folks here helped so much. He used to flip over a lot, and it took him a while before he would start to eat. He’s ravenous now, the little piggie! He loves the original Mazuri, but despises the low starch version. He likes organic spring mix. He likes his added dried organic hibiscus, clover, and dandelion. I sometimes mix them all together. I bought seed for flowers and grasses from Tortoisesupply.com but have yet to plant any. I plan to use that instead of grocery store spring mix. He does like the occasional Brussels sprout.

Getting soil mix, lighting, heating and so on also took a bit of time, and is an on-going learning curve, but he seems healthy or at least has survived my efforts.

He’s pretty stubborn, and maybe not too bright, lol. But he’s really cute.

He’s not as personable as I’d hoped. Sometimes he looks at me, but mostly he escapes to his house. I just heard that it’s because his enclosure is too bare. I was trying to leave room for walking but now I’ve bought more plants. I think he doesn’t like being bathed so he hides. It could just be me. I was told to watch him while he eats to get him friendlier but I don’t like to interrupt him.

All-in-all, I’m glad I have him.

I don’t know if you have a Mt. Etna by now, but I’d love to hear about your experiences. Doesn’t seem to be many of us out there.