Anyone with fibromyalgia have a big tort?

Rmgoulet1941

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto
I've recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (about 6 months ago) and am hoping to find other tortoise parents who have fibro too! I am hoping to see how to manage tortoise keeping with such an unpredictable and painful condition. I would be devastated to have to re-home my sully.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I can only speak of my experience... I have 2 cats, 11 birds, 15 box turtles and 3 tortoises. If a big tort needs lifting I get a neighbor, if I am too sick (as my sister taught me), I either crawl on my hands and knees...or as I did, teach a neighbor kid how to feed just in case. I keep hay in the Sulcata shed so if I am too sick they still have food. I live alone, my animals are why I get up in the morning...
View attachment 285376

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, there are several members who have various health problems on the forum with torts large and small, so I'm sure some will be in touch with tips on how to manage. Do you have any help available at home?

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
I moved last year and live alone. I do not live in the best neighborhood so I am unfamiliar with my neighbors. Hopefully if I ever need help moving my tort or renovating his space, I can ask a friend for help. I just don't have many connections where I am living and this diagnosis has me worried. I have to clean out his night box nearly every day because he poops and pees all in it. He sometimes doesn't move into his night box on his own so I have to guide him in. Some days it is really difficult to get out of bed or do anything... and I worry for him as he is growing bigger.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's sad, and I really sympathize with you, but you may have to find a new home for your tortoise and get a smaller species. I'll be 82 this year and I had two Aldabran tortoises that were both over 200lbs. I know that old age isn't comparable with Fibromyalgia, but I'm also in your living situation. I live alone and my tortoise partner lives a 6 or 8 hour drive south of me. My daughter does live about a half mile away, but she doesn't share an interest in my tortoise hobby and I don't like to bother her. She talks a lot about me getting rid of the tortoises and I don't want to give her any ammunition.

The Aldabran tortoises had a nice, insulated shed to shelter in at night, but sometimes one or the other of them wouldn't go in at night. It is my practice to always lock all tortoises in at night for safety. One of the aldabs was easy to lead by using the carrot and stick method (substitute peach or strawberry for carrot), but the other one would not move, even if you put a stick of dynamite under his tail. I hated to do it, and I still miss them today, but I eventually had to sell them. It just wasn't safe for them to stay all night out in the cold.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
It's sad, and I really sympathize with you, but you may have to find a new home for your tortoise and get a smaller species. I'll be 82 this year and I had two Aldabran tortoises that were both over 200lbs. I know that old age isn't comparable with Fibromyalgia, but I'm also in your living situation. I live alone and my tortoise partner lives a 6 or 8 hour drive south of me. My daughter does live about a half mile away, but she doesn't share an interest in my tortoise hobby and I don't like to bother her. She talks a lot about me getting rid of the tortoises and I don't want to give her any ammunition.

The Aldabran tortoises had a nice, insulated shed to shelter in at night, but sometimes one or the other of them wouldn't go in at night. It is my practice to always lock all tortoises in at night for safety. One of the aldabs was easy to lead by using the carrot and stick method (substitute peach or strawberry for carrot), but the other one would not move, even if you put a stick of dynamite under his tail. I hated to do it, and I still miss them today, but I eventually had to sell them. It just wasn't safe for them to stay all night out in the cold.

I am able to pick him up right now but likely will not be able to within the next year and he can be stubborn! He is going through a rapid growth stage as well. I did not anticipate this illness when I accepted him 3 years ago and am devastated at the thought of rehoming him. I suppose it's something I will have to wrap my mind around it... thanks for all the support here on this forum ❤?❤?❤

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I understand your issue all right. My daughter is 47 and diagnosed with fibromyalgia. She suffers terribly sometimes, including being in Grand Cayman the other day in the earthquake!!! But I am 71 and I have all the animals.
Of course it's hard to have to give up a beloved pet. You hand in there as long as you can while ensuring that the animal is not suffering because it's still with you. If you can't get regular support and help with your pet,, then it's probably time to do him a favor. You would not be abandoning him by finding him a nice new home, but showing him how much you care. All the best and stay around here, it's a good place!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have 2 Sulcata. One is abt 50 lbs and the other abt 30; I am 74, sick often and my right arm is partially paralyzed. But one thing I have done is make sure they both know what they are supposed to do. Big Sam (he's 7 yrs) always goes into his shed between 5pm and 6. He eats hay so if I can't feed or they can't graze they both have food, Knobby does not like hay. Sam comes out in the cold/snow and goes back in when he gets cold.
One suggestion I have is, for about 2 weeks everyday put your Sulcata to bed at the same time every night. Do it with a small snack. That's how I 'trained' big Sam to go to bed. Sulcata are really smart and I firmly believe if you are patient and think about it, you CAN train your tortoise to do certain things that will make his care easier for you...also, that will help to reinforce any bond with him. And it's fun to try and teach them to be easier keepers... Good Luck, and remember we are always here for you...
Big Sam about 3 years ago...
065.JPG