Anyone on here keeping big torts in snowy places?

Magdalena41494

Id like some ideas on housing large torts in places like Minnesota (snow covered for a good part of the year)

How do you do it? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Last edited:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here are some pics from today, The first one is the youngsters house as it looked when the sun came up, the second is after I removed the snow from the bamboo so it would stand up again and I could see the house again. They are almost 2 years old to just under 4 years old. Their door is never closed to keep them inside, they come and go as they please,and the snow is full of turtle tracks even though we stayed below 32 all day and no sunshine. The last pic is Walker this afternoon walking around. Walker has lived outside for years now without any problems. Some of the most important things are cheap heat, proper insulation, and being prepared for whatever may come along.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A large heated shed is needed. Or, if your getting a sulcata, like Bob and Len's "Walker" then at least a heat dog house, big enough for them to get all the way into and turn around. Bigger is always better.

Magdalena41494

We have a big heated workshop, I plan on making a door in the back where we keep the firewood once I get to that point :) his side of the workshop will be sectioned off though.

I like the shed idea though! Its possible for us to just build a whole building for some torts. We have 56 acres that are not being used at the moment lol

Very cute pic of walker btw!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thing is - can you afford a high electric bill. The smaller the area to heat, the smaller the bill.

Magdalena41494

We use wood to heat here :) since we have so much land we had to (and a whole lot more still to do) clear for horses, we have a lot of firewood.

Weve been wanting to put a heated barn up for chickens and goats anyway, so Might just do a multi purpose barn.

argus333

5 Year Member
I keep Mine in 4 ft 6ft heated/ insulated shed with attached 12 ft x8 ft green house. It snows here this yr. every other day. Temps down to-6 sullys were warm all yr. The green house works great and they love it. If 30 outside 80 inside if sun is out.

argus333

5 Year Member
look here it is

Attachments

• DSC_0496.jpg
    DSC_0496.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0497.jpg
    DSC_0497.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0514.jpg
    DSC_0514.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0498.jpg
    DSC_0498.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0499.jpg
    DSC_0499.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 76

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I when to a tort conferee 2 yrs ago and Mr. Fife was speeking about how he gets snow in AZ and he builds a shelter out of straw for his big torts .

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
I when to a tort conferee 2 yrs ago and Mr. Fife was speeking about how he gets snow in AZ and he builds a shelter out of straw for his big torts .
He has some pics of it in his book.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
The thing is - can you afford a high electric bill. The smaller the area to heat, the smaller the bill.

That is not true at all. There are many different ways to efficiently heat outside enclosures. The typical suggestion of Incandescent lighting or anything that screws into a lamp is very outdated. There are many different ways of utilizing radiant heat using 50%-75% less wattage than a bulb or CHE.