Anyone know a decent amazon tortoise hide under 20$?

FrankIinTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I need to buy a good hide for my tortoise. Please pick a hide that's big and roomy and will fit a full grown RT.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I'm trying to get a more kind of natural hide, not a tote. Even with pothos it would still look unnatural and might disturb/stress Franklin.
My leopard loves his since it is very cavelike. Also with the lid on it helps to hold moisture to keep up the humidity high. Also it has vertical sides so no climb/fall hazard

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm trying to get a more kind of natural hide, not a tote. Even with pothos it would still look unnatural and might disturb/stress Franklin.
Franklin doesn't care if it looks "natural" or not.

I get black dishwashing tubs from Walmart for under $2. Flip it over and cut out a door hole just big enough for Franklin. Wet the substrate under it, and you'll have a nice humid hide.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
I agree with Tom - a humid hide box is the best way to go. To make it more natural, simply put dirt around it and now you have a natural realistic hill! Humidity is very important for torts, so I would definitely suggest the humid hide box concept.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
Franklin doesn't care if it looks "natural" or not.

I get black dishwashing tubs from Walmart for under $2. Flip it over and cut out a door hole just big enough for Franklin. Wet the substrate under it, and you'll have a nice humid hide.

I wasn't talking about Franklin I was talking about me, isn't that obvious?? When I said "might disturb/stress Franklin" I meant that it contributed to me not liking the unnatural look. I am pretty sure Franklin would prefer a more natural habitat since he is wildly caught.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The log hides are bad since a tort can climb and flip over! Safety is key that is why we suggest so many odd things it is from trial and error what is safer. Also in my defense I will say you can also get air plants and hot glue gun the pot to the tub. I dare you to say air plants are not beautiful and with a wash tub you have a blank canvas! Good luck i know your tort is in good hands!

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
I guess my hides are as "unnatural" as they come. LOL I use two halves of a small dog crate. My girls love them! They're light enough for the torts to actually move them under or away from the CHE when they want. Wet them underneath, and they are a nice, warm, humid hide. My one girl can no longer fit into those log hides - even the largest one I got a year ago. In the outside enclosure (6' x 10'), I have two halves of a 100 Vari-kennel crate. They work perfectly.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

Beachtherapy

Tennessee
I need to buy a good hide for my tortoise. Please pick a hide that's big and roomy and will fit a full grown RT.
I found rock pump covers. I was on here and read your post. I think if you look there’s one around $30 and a sawzall will cut the entrance but I just posted this so Tom could look at them and may know if they are safe. I saw one physically and looked inside to see if I saw fiberglass and it just looked like a thick moulded plastic like some of the feeding dishes and made to last thru bad weather. Feeding dishes are solid. This is a shape.
But please be sure to check to see if any material is toxic. You were the reason I went ahead and sent a note to Tom before I posted as a thread. He said he would look at it. I just did this this morning.
another thought is a plastic container that is a shape you like and your tortoise would fit with the right entrance and then check glues for safety and glue pea gravel or regular gravel or even the Spanish moss or cypress mulch thicker pieces. I too, like you think natural looking. My young leopard buries in the high end of his enclosure under probably 6” deep and the bad thing is he pops his nose up and sits there having his morning coffee like he’s on the pot and takes a big dump lol. So I move the mulch to dig it out like I’m cleaning up after a dog accident. A couple of folded paper towels usually allows me to scoop it up with enough mulch that it grabs all of it because the pee is right there too. But he prefers his cypress mulch over the hide that looks like a log. Amazon sells them. I sawzall cut the entrance larger but after I added deeper mulch he would squeeze around it because it was fairly large for the terrarium I have him in till I can build the perfect table to sit in my living room.
also the mulch mountain moves as he’s deciding it time to see if I’ve put his food out for him. I wait till he’s up first.

good lunch. I’ve so enjoyed my baby leopard. He’s about 5” and still has the cutest baby face.

Attachments

• D2E764F3-EACB-425C-AEB8-808DE9F1D492.png
    D2E764F3-EACB-425C-AEB8-808DE9F1D492.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 8

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I found rock pump covers. I was on here and read your post. I think if you look there’s one around $30 and a sawzall will cut the entrance but I just posted this so Tom could look at them and may know if they are safe. I saw one physically and looked inside to see if I saw fiberglass and it just looked like a thick moulded plastic like some of the feeding dishes and made to last thru bad weather. Feeding dishes are solid. This is a shape.
But please be sure to check to see if any material is toxic. You were the reason I went ahead and sent a note to Tom before I posted as a thread. He said he would look at it. I just did this this morning.
another thought is a plastic container that is a shape you like and your tortoise would fit with the right entrance and then check glues for safety and glue pea gravel or regular gravel or even the Spanish moss or cypress mulch thicker pieces. I too, like you think natural looking. My young leopard buries in the high end of his enclosure under probably 6” deep and the bad thing is he pops his nose up and sits there having his morning coffee like he’s on the pot and takes a big dump lol. So I move the mulch to dig it out like I’m cleaning up after a dog accident. A couple of folded paper towels usually allows me to scoop it up with enough mulch that it grabs all of it because the pee is right there too. But he prefers his cypress mulch over the hide that looks like a log. Amazon sells them. I sawzall cut the entrance larger but after I added deeper mulch he would squeeze around it because it was fairly large for the terrarium I have him in till I can build the perfect table to sit in my living room.
also the mulch mountain moves as he’s deciding it time to see if I’ve put his food out for him. I wait till he’s up first.

good lunch. I’ve so enjoyed my baby leopard. He’s about 5” and still has the cutest baby face.

I see that Lowes & HD have them as well. Hardened fiberglass/resin construction.

➡️ https://www.lowes.com/pd/Outdoor-Es...n-H-Artificial-Rock-Well-Pump-Cover/999948164

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I found car door edge trim on Amazon to cover the exposed cut so now extra finish work. Just apply with some good glue and tape in place until it cures

Attachments

• 23F0ECBA-86EA-48F2-9292-F8F16332F3D8.png
    23F0ECBA-86EA-48F2-9292-F8F16332F3D8.png
    124 KB · Views: 3

Quixx66

Louisiana
The opening is too wide and light could easily get in. My leopard loves to sit near the entrance hole at times during the day and for sleeping goes to a back corner. I use a 5 gallon tote
Thanks. I’ll return it.
What is a tote? Do you mean like a bucket?