Anyone in San Antonio, TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Just wondering if there was anyone, by chance in San Antonio, TX or the surrounding area in these forums?

I have developed such a love for torts from becoming an owner to my baby, & being on this forum has made me become interested in a lot of things. I am possibly interested in rescuing and things like that.

But first- I would love to get to know someone around the area who has knowledge of setting up enclosures and heat equipment, setting temps, etc. I could gain all the knowledge I want on here but as far as putting it to use, thats a bit of a different story. :p I don't know anyone who could just go to the store with me and purchase the correct things and help me set them up & I don't necessarily trust PetSmart employees. It would just be good to make a friend in the area you know? Over time obviously- I'm not trying to attract the crazies and I'm sure no one on here is either. :) Anyway- just wondering.. :) Thanks. :)

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Holy cow. Really you're from SA? I wasn't sure anyone would be on here.
I'm in NW side out by Sea World. You familiar with Sulcatas? :)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yes I am. I live near the airport. THere's a few of us around this area.

What do you need in particular?

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Really and truly- a tortoise friend!
Everyone talks about all these humidifiers and temp stuff and timers and I guess I'm clueless. I have one heating bulb that I keep on all day & turn it off at night. I would like to just have someone as a friend somewhat close to my age that I could hit up PetSmart with and HEB that could show me what exactly to pick up & then help me set it up! All the lamps and whatever plus a good indoor enclosure and food. Probably in January. Then once it's set up- I'm good! It's just - someone can explain it to me all day, I'm kind of an idiot. I can only pick up so much. I'm a hands on type f person. Show me once- I got it. It's hard for me to truly understand by learning. I just wish I knew someone in the area. I have a fairly big check coming in January and that's goin towards the little one.

Take that back. Got the food down now. Just the other stuff. He needs a bigger enclosure now & the accurate heating system setup.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yea I could help you out. Right off the bat, you really need to get on Amazon and order a 100 watt Zoomed mercury vapor bulb. Just type that in and pick the cheapest one and buy it. Second while you're there, order a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter from Zoomed or Fluker. I just ordered three more myself for about 15 a piece with free shipping. Place the mercury vapor bulb on him during the day and the ceramic heat emitter on him during the night. That's the very basics but you need to do that soon.

The reason i'm mentioning ordering from Amazon is because their prices put any petstore to shame so unless you need something ASAP, i'd just order it online.

Also, about going to HEB or any other grocery store, you can get some basic food there and your tortoise would live for years undoubtedly on it but the hot ticket is to grow your own food. For that you will just order the seeds online and grow them.

So it sounds like you would just need help with the enclosure after you order that stuff online. And it really doesn't cost a ton of money to take care of a tortoise properly, that's the beauty of it, a little ingenuity can go a long ways.

How do you have him set up now?

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
sammy4.jpegThe heating bulb I have for him now during the days is a 75 watt , 60 Hz,120V Flukers bulb. I always get my stuff from Amazon. I'll get the others u mentioned when I can. I'm seriously 100% broke til Christmas. Then I have that big check coming in second week of January and I want to completely re-do his enclosure. I just have him in a tank he outgrew now. Just starting him on a better diet and finding out about the temp stuff. The guy who sold him to me gave me totally wrong info. I started noticing slight pyramiding which is how I found this forum and now I have been living here trying to soak up info and get things right. Lots to take in. Here is a pic of basic tank setup. Turned on lamp quick for pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yea, lots to redo there. We will get together and figure out an economical solution for you.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Do you have to have specific lamps for those bulbs?
There was an instance a few months ago where PetSmart sold me a lamp and bulb together that weren't good for each other even though they suggested them together and it caught my outlet on fire. :/

Zabbi0 said:
Do you have to have specific lamps for those bulbs?
There was an instance a few months ago where PetSmart sold me a lamp and bulb together that weren't good for each other even though they suggested them together and it caught my outlet on fire. :/

Otherwise I have them in my shopping cart on Amazon. :) do I need a humidifier or timer or something or is that something to pick up once I hunt down a new home for Sammy?

jtrux said:
Yea I could help you out. Right off the bat, you really need to get on Amazon and order a 100 watt Zoomed mercury vapor bulb. Just type that in and pick the cheapest one and buy it. Second while you're there, order a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter from Zoomed or Fluker. I just ordered three more myself for about 15 a piece with free shipping. Place the mercury vapor bulb on him during the day and the ceramic heat emitter on him during the night. That's the very basics but you need to do that soon.

The reason i'm mentioning ordering from Amazon is because their prices put any petstore to shame so unless you need something ASAP, i'd just order it online.

Also, about going to HEB or any other grocery store, you can get some basic food there and your tortoise would live for years undoubtedly on it but the hot ticket is to grow your own food. For that you will just order the seeds online and grow them.

So it sounds like you would just need help with the enclosure after you order that stuff online. And it really doesn't cost a ton of money to take care of a tortoise properly, that's the beauty of it, a little ingenuity can go a long ways.

How do you have him set up now?

It's the power sun UV right?
Should I get a nighttime one too? Like a 100 watt black lunar brite heat bulb or a 75 watt nite brite?

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
A few things...

Do you have an apt or house? That's gonna play a part in determining what kind of enclosure you will be able to accomodate.

You don't really need a humidifier at this point considering his size, it's most critical when they are babies however maintaining a relatively high humidity will still benefit him but more importantly since your aquarium is small and he doesn't appear to have access to a water bowl i'd soak daily to allow the opportunity to ingest some water. I'd do that rather than place a water bowl in his enclosure due to the already cramped conditions. If you can swing it, i'd suggest picking up some Zoomed coconut coir from Petco, it's only 8 bucks I think for a pack of 3. It's very good at maintaining humidity.

A timer is very beneficial as it ensures a consistent photoperiod for Sammy. A thermostat is another good investment because it will maintain the proper temps in the enclosure.

Yes, there are certain lamps that are preferable. They are the ones that are ceramic. I'll have to send you a link to them rather than explain.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yeah. There is a basking bulb combo pack day and night 60 watt for $10 and 75 watt for $13. Both Zoomed?
Maybe u can give me a call some time. It might be easier to talk about all this stuff on the phone? Can pm my number or would that be strange? I'm up all the time.

So I looked it up to verify. I have a ceramic Flukers lamp but it only has a 75 watt maximum soo should I upgrade the lamp since that should be cheaper than the 100 watt UV mercury bulb? What would be better in the long run? Am I going to really want the temps hotter than 100 degrees? Let me know - ill do whatever's best.

Status
Not open for further replies.