Anyone in New Orleans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hi Y'all,
I want to get a tortoise, I am thinking either a Redfoot or a Hermann's would be best. I have been checking locally (New Orleans) and no one has either type. I fear having one shipped to me, (i'm sure that its terrifying for the tortoise too).
Anyhow, I'm using this time to research a lot to in order to get everything right.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi & welcome. You live in the perfect climate to raise a tortoise!! Getting a tortoise shipped is probably 24 hours of being a little uncomfortable. It's not a big deal and if you can provide a great life for it, it will be worth it in the end. Best of luck!

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Hi and welcome! I'm here in New Orleans, but you are right, I can't think of any place that I have ever seen a redfoot or a hermann.
There are some really good breeders on this forum, so your best bet might be for over night shipping. Plus the pet stores where I've seen other tortoises for sale (sulcatas and greeks), they don't really seem to have the appropriate setup and or information on how to properly care for them. A breeder who knows and dedicates their lives to raising tortoises is the better route, cause at least you know it would be a well started tortoise and you will know its history from hatching.

Also, I believe there will be a repticon event in June and July. Not sure if you're willing to wait that long but that is another option if you don't like the shipping idea.

Hydrah

5 Year Member
New Orleans
CtTortoiseMom said:
Hi & welcome. You live in the perfect climate to raise a tortoise!! Getting a tortoise shipped is probably 24 hours of being a little uncomfortable. It's not a big deal and if you can provide a great life for it, it will be worth it in the end. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advise!

Hydrah

5 Year Member
New Orleans
srod said:
Hi and welcome! I'm here in New Orleans, but you are right, I can't think of any place that I have ever seen a redfoot or a hermann.
There are some really good breeders on this forum, so your best bet might be for over night shipping. Plus the pet stores where I've seen other tortoises for sale (sulcatas and greeks), they don't really seem to have the appropriate setup and or information on how to properly care for them. A breeder who knows and dedicates their lives to raising tortoises is the better route, cause at least you know it would be a well started tortoise and you will know its history from hatching.

Also, I believe there will be a repticon event in June and July. Not sure if you're willing to wait that long but that is another option if you don't like the shipping idea.

Repticon sounds awesome!!! Please let me know when details are available, I would love to go!

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
I went to 50 Fathoms Pet Store this weekend. They had I think a red foot but it had already been bought. Check there.

Newo13

10 Year Member!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Repticon will be in Baton Rouge June 1 and 2, that's where I got my little baby Hermann's. Then July 20 and 21 there's one in Chalmette.

Hydrah

5 Year Member
New Orleans
CtTortoiseMom said:

Thanks!

Hydrah

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Newo13 said:
Repticon will be in Baton Rouge June 1 and 2, that's where I got my little baby Hermann's. Then July 20 and 21 there's one in Chalmette.

I saw that & i'm so excited!!! It is walking distance to my house.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Re: RE: Anyone in New Orleans?

AndreaRosie said:
I went to 50 Fathoms Pet Store this weekend. They had I think a red foot but it had already been bought. Check there.

Really? I went there on saturday and didnt see it :(
I really like 50 fathoms but it drives me crazy when ive seen the hatchling tortoises on rabbit pellets

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I love that you are doing research, I'm no help but will look forward to updates :)

Hydrah

5 Year Member
New Orleans
srod said:
AndreaRosie said:

Really? I went there on saturday and didnt see it :(
I really like 50 fathoms but it drives me crazy when ive seen the hatchling tortoises on rabbit pellets

I will check, but i'm unconvinced that they take proper care of their animals. Thanks for the info!

Newo13

10 Year Member!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Hydrah said:
Newo13 said:

Really? The Chalmette one? If so I'm in walking distance to that one too! I had also checked out 50 Fathoms and didn't like it there. Most of their tortoises were pyramiding and that one walking around the concrete floor all day is always trying to hide in a corner.

Hydrah

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Newo13 said:
Hydrah said:
Newo13 said:

Really? The Chalmette one? If so I'm in walking distance to that one too! I had also checked out 50 Fathoms and didn't like it there. Most of their tortoises were pyramiding and that one walking around the concrete floor all day is always trying to hide in a corner.

Yes, I am in Chalmette. I have not been in 50 fathoms in awhile, now i'm afraid.:(

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
50 fathoms is great for fish and even aquatic turtles.
But for tortoises, eh. Kinda sketchy. The guy who runs it means well but its obviously just a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.