Anyone here have Speckled Cape Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I was doing some reading and came across these tiny tortoises. Speckled Cape Tortoise (Homopus Signatus) Males only get 3'' and females 4''. The book also says that they do not thrive in captivity. I was wondering if anyone on the forum have these? I would love to see pics. and learn more about them.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't, but I used to have 3 green and speckled frogs. They sat on a speckled log and ate the most delicious bugs. They all jumped in the pool where it was nice and cool and now I have no green speckled frogs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really doubt there are any in captivity. They are very much endangered in the wild and its illegal to buy/sell them.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I've only seen any for sale on one occasion, about 20 years ago...as I recall, they were $6K each or $10k a pair, and there were about a half dozen on display.

Next time I visited this reptile shop, perhaps a month later, they were in the process of being shut down for illegal trafficing in endangered species... :tort:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I had 1 male and 1 female Homopus signatus signatus along with 1 male Homopus signatus cafer back in the early late 80's into the early 90's. They were around $500 a piece then and were not common. I can only imagine what they'd go for today! Unknown to me at the time, the female became egg bound which eventually caused her death. Shortly after I sold the two males (one to Egyptian Dan). Overall they actually did very well in captivity and thrived.
At the same time I also had a group of 2.4 Homopus areolatus which is a species that was reported to be more hardy than the H. signatus. I found the opposite to be true. I had a lot of respiratory issues with the H. areolatus.

I think I have some old 35 mm snapshots somewhere of some of them. If I can find them I'll post some.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I wish, I have been searching for 2 years now, only zoo's have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.